Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: flexmod issues

Quote Originally Posted by glorocks View Post
    OK- This has been helpful. After artfully machining a heat sink of copper and managing to keep my remaining fingers, I went to hook up the flex mod and noticed the instructions say to connect your meter in current mode ACROSS THE OUTPUT of the flex mod. Uhh, always thought you measure current in series with the load.
    Before I blow up an expensive diode, I'd like to test the driver with something else- someone suggested I use a high power led as a load for testing.
    Any thoughts?
    the idea is to set the current before you attach the diode... it's really late but if my brain is functioning... when you measure across your meter will look like an electrical short so your diode will do nothing and your meter will measure the current the driver is putting out (into the short which is the meter in current mode)

I appreciate your input. I'll give this a try, but I now have to get a decent meter. For years I carried Flukes, only to have them disappear on job sites along with SureFire flashlights. Got into the habit of buying "disposable" meters. Not exactly the reference standard for accuracy. Again, thanks.