Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RayComposer - a new laser show software for Windows & Mac OS X

Just ordered the kit (RayComposer USB with RayComposer Pro and DMX 3-pin breakout), looking forward to playing with it! Thanks Simon.

As a Mac OS X user, I really appreciate that this runs natively. I purchased and looking forward to using it! I love the beam preview and video export feature. I already tried designing to one of my songs. I do seem to have trouble hearing the sound or seeing the audio spectrum again after reloading a saved project. Maybe this will perform better once I have an actual license key in the USB interface?

Wow, how am I just now seeing this? Great software, spent only 5 minutes and am already familiar with it. Love the GUI it is very my style. How much for the DAC? I'm very interested in purchasing. PM Sent.

Quote Originally Posted by wendylou View Post
    I do seem to have trouble hearing the sound or seeing the audio spectrum again after reloading a saved project.
    Robin informed me this will be fixed in next update. In the mean time, loading an audio file with the Speaker icon revolves the issue.

Etherdream for Ethernet connected projectors would be handy, and his API is open.

Quote Originally Posted by telmnstr View Post
    Etherdream for Ethernet connected projectors would be handy, and his API is open.
    +1 to Telmnstr's suggestion. I've got a lot of Etherdream and Medialas DACs. The Medialas DAC has an open API also, I believe.

On first glance, Raycomposer has a very nice interface. I intend to explore it further.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

I also bought the DMX Breakout Adapter with RayComposer because my projector has a grating wheel option, which is available when ILDA is in use. I can drop DMX cuelists on the timeline to invoke several gratings during the show, like 3D, lumia, burst, etc. Really jazzes up the show! I'm really thrilled with RayComposer!

Default RayComposer vectors seem easily distorted in the laser output

Anyone else purchase RayComposer? I'm having issues with the vector tracing applied to fonts. For instance, I type a simple word like Wendy in various fonts, and I see distorted or shortcut curves in the some letters. There are anchor points that are spot on, but anywhere a vector curve is in control, the laser is unable to follow and ends up distorting the letters. 1st photo is a snapshot from RayComposer Animation Editor showing what will be output. This is vector created from fonts. 2nd photos shows laser display at 30Kpps distorting the shapes (no change if I drop down to 20Kpps). I've looked at Pangolin videos and they seem to use points which hold the shapes better. Is my assessment correct? Is the idea of using a vector based designer flawed in this regard?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 7.40.03 PM.png  

IMG_2507.jpg  

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Vector just means the software calculates the optimized "points" for you on the fly. Vector image formats store just the end points and color changes on the image, as opposed to storing EVERY point. So a vector format stores color, magnitude, and direction of each scanner move. Both systems output similar waveforms to the DAC. Play with the vector settings... Things might improve. Vector is the more modern method. Pangolin also uses Vector in more modern systems. Vector is known to scan faster in many cases, allowing better use of the Galvo's performance.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Here's a graphic/text display for expo I made with RayComposer and displayed using a Lightspace USA 2W Color Ray projector. Colors are a bit washed out here from iPhone capture under bright arena lights. Looked more colorful in person. I've made more exciting beam shows and graphics to music, but this was a good practical use for an expo. RayComposer is pretty capable. I white balanced and color balanced using the software RGB curves and levels; traced and optimized the logo for 30 kpps; added image projection modifiers like skew, color, resize, twirl, etc. I have never owned any other laser show software and am aware of QS and Beyond. I'm a Mac user so I like that this runs native on Mac or PCs. For the price of the RayComposer ILDA DAC and software, including DMX control and breakout cable, it's a really good bargain. Robin has been really good about fixing any reported bugs. I'd love to exchange animations and shows with others but haven't found anyone yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ8roY8OYMI
    Last edited by wendylou; 10-26-2016 at 19:11.