Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cost of laser shows?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Yes, that was the one.
    PM Sent...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Another point I neglected to mention is that when you are figuring up your time, you have to keep in mind you need to be "on site" longer than nearly any other person.
    A DJ can walk in and be set up and playing music here in minutes since we have a house system although, even if they bring their own gear, rarely are they here more than an hour before they have to be playing. Lasers and lighting on the other hand, should be set up well in advance of staff and vendors wandering around the venue. And even though it's "streamlined", I know I need about 4 hours in the morning of quiet time to get everything set up, go up and down the ladder, haze and test and so forth. I do that all before my staff comes in to start setting up for the event since at that point, I need to put on my "boss" hat and concentrate on what my employer pays me to do - run the wedding. I'm not settling in to doing the lasers and lighting until after dinner is over and there is really nothing work related for me to have to do. Then, once the event is over, I'm the last one out the door of the building since I'm looking at over an hour in taking everything down and putting things away since, in all likelihood, I have an event the next day that may not have lasers or lighting. So.... "lasers" are a 8-9 hour proposition during the day in addition to a full day doing my regular job.
    One other point on my tasting event.... I view that show as being my sole 3-4 minutes to earn perhaps $10,000 in the upcoming months so, it MUST be flawless and "over the top" so I put even more time and effort into that than I do for even the job itself.
    PM Sent...

This thread, and the one linked to, are invaluable. Cheers for the efforts Bradfo and Norty.

It's come to astonish me how expensive in time and money it can be to be really professional when it comes to safety and preparation - but isn't that what makes you worth the money? And also what keeps you and your livelihood safe if legislation does shift.

To me it'd feel important to keep track of just when you have paid back the costs of controllers or test kit or old content so you know when you're in the black sooner, cos it's gonna take a while.

" 15 characters"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000410.jpg  

Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 13:00.

" 15 characters"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails phxconventioncenter.JPG  

How on earth does one price a frame such that pairs of beams can be worth that? Is that averaged from the whole show cost?

That conference is kinda mad</british>

" 15 characters"

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Don't ever under charge, word gets around, it is hard to raise prices once lowered. Assume you'll need > 10,000$ in startup costs to even begin working on something you can market well, ie 2x 5 Watt projectors and Pangolin etc. Which is low power these days. Find a big company you can rent large systems from, or quit now.
    What often happens is frequent clients get tired of paying you, and go and buy a small projector, so you must provide value in your intrapersonal reactions, and a very well timed show, even in manual mode. Don't EVER use the beat sensor, unless you must walk away from the console for a minute. Light has to hit the beat.
    Good graphics shows have a time line, and tell a story. This is why most modern practitioners of Laser do not even want to try at Corporate or Graphics.. Its difficult and time consuming to get the public to set there and watch something unless it generates personal interest. Beams are easy, but take practice and an understanding of the underling parts of the music to do well.
    Find event planners and work with them.
    Marketing as a one man shop is difficult, you should not enter into this without some connections or a really good way to market your services. Marketing is the key.
    Don't try to be a one man shop, work with others in the entertainment industry as a team.
    Oh, and the best advice I can give you, quit now... :-)

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 10-30-2015 at 05:25.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Steve I think he's referring to the performance of the show and not the programming.
    You thought right Brad...
    Exactely this.

If I have to program a brand new "personal show" (I mean: make new figure, animation, effects, etc.etc. as customers require), price have to be higher.
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

Hah love it mixed emotions that day? There's no fathoming clients, I've learnt that in every field I've worked in. You're quite right though you charge for the service, which you delivered, whether or not that resulted in any actual product.
    Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Oh, and the best advice I can give you, quit now... :-)
    I'm not sure I've been here long enough to speak for many, but if I did I think I know what I'd say
    Dynamics/EasyLase LC/FD820/RGB 400mW Homebrew w/EMS4ks