Thread: Information: PLT5 450B "250mW" diode has the same emitter like the PL450

Exclamation Information: PLT5 450B "250mW" diode has the same emitter like the PL450

Hello Guys!
    Just wanted to inform you with the attached pdf (original OSRAM datasheet of the "new" 5,6mm SM diode).
    The 5,6mm diode has the same emitter as the 3,8mm diode - there is no difference at all but a bigger case.
    They are sold as 250mW diodes, which isn't correct anyway. They aren't able to reach more than 120mW or 150mW with a huge loss of lifetime.
    I just wanted to keep you updated!
    Best regards,
    Phillip
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plt5-450b.pdf 
Views:	80 
Size:	293.2 KB 
ID:	49943

... many laserdiodes and LED's sold at ebay and alibaba are specified with their drawn electrical power, not optical power output!

Viktor

Yea the PLT5 450B is the same as the PL450B just in a 5.6mm package to give more reliability as the 5.6mm can disperses heat much better. Osram is moving others 3.8mm diode to a 5.6mm can as well. The PL520 will go to the PLT5 520.

I have had them in my shop for about 9 months now. Great diode. Did a testing thread on them here.
    http://laserpointerforums.com/f40/os...ode-94431.html

In the testing before dying it was pushing out 400mW. Getting into the 200-250mW range does not seem out of the efficiency curve but yes that is still driving them over spec current. If you go by the datasheet current I am getting just under 180mW out of them @ 165mA so they are a bit underrated for power at spec current.

Also of interesting note a few of these Lazeerer tested and found some that were quite high for wavelength and the rest were better than most the 3.8mm version ones he tested.

Quote Originally Posted by lazeerer View Post
    These are some awesome diodes. Slightly higher WL more power and from the looks of it same beam.

I got several of theses diodes in and more on the way and these diodes from what i tested so far are interesting for the WL. I think these diodes are Possible not WL binned because i got some Super and I mean Super high WL mixed in, in the lot of diodes i got. I ran them just under there MAX where they stopped increasing which is ~300mA-330mA. More testing is needed to see if thats still to high for safe running but all is good so far.

Check it out......

This is a typical diode WL for these diodes:

I test some more and at this same current^ "330mA" this is what the others did:
    450nm
    451nm
    452nm
    454nm

So at this current expect a range of 450nm to 454nm typical.. At right passed threshold ~30mW the diodes where all about 3nm less then what you would get at 330mA.. So not much of a swing however the interesting part is bellow.

As far as i can remember the PL450 3.8mm diodes where 445nm-450nm for the most part..

Now here the interesting part. 2 diodes i got (Out of 7 diodes tested) binned very High on WL. It is to be noted that in this images the current was at only 100mA:

The Other diode was at 464nm.

So these 2 diodes at 100mA where doing 461nm and 464nm to be clear.

Then I ran these 2 diodes at 300mA and the WL shot up to 466nm on one and 468nm on the other.

A larger Swing.

I got excited and Pushed the 468nm one Passed the MAX where the diode stops increasing which is ~380mA and the WL on this diode shot up to 474nm at 550mA and it was Holding ~400mW still since these dont really roll back much barely at all.. I Got to excited and went up to 650mA and Boom hit 476nm. (Shoul dhave left it) I felt luck was on my side and turned the knob a hair and Popped it. What a diode this was. I was blown away how high it got in WL.

The Second diode 464nm did a MAX of 471nm at 550mA and Popped too right when i tried to increase it more from 550mA on this diode.

These diodes DO NOT Rollback. They just die if you go too far... and the thing is there is No set point where they all die.

So if your one that wants to push it passed the MAX into the "rollback" to get that higher WL be-careful as at least for these 2 they dint die at the exact current.

If you get a High Bin WL diode IMO enjoy it and dont push it passed the MAX "Rollback" area to get even higher in WL. Its to risky.

The reason being is the Higher the WL is the Less efficient they are in power. As most of you should know that.

So being for this reason pushing it after the Max is very risky with these diodes.

Still getting a Noce 460nm+ Single mode diodes would be awesome for 300mW.

This is why i like these diodes so much.
    Last edited by DTR; 05-07-2016 at 01:27.