Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Drones

I was actually trying to make this less complex and it must have come across poorly. I want to build a copter that can use a few relatively turn key systems and fly well, reliably and soon. Like a laser projector that has a lot of open space for upgrades, I want to be able to enhance without needing to rebuild from scratch. The wavelength shifting for control and video doesn't have to be used, but it can when and if I am ready. The antennas seem like a useful add on as they boost the power where I need it (line of sight, remember) and don't transmit where I do not.

The line of sight rule applies, but is not why I am focusing on range so much. I will be operating this ship in a very mountainous location where "line of sight" can be many miles and where 400' ABG can be 6000' above the operator.

Maybe use a helium balloon for the antenna and put a collinear array up for 2.4ghz.
    We have actually done this as an experiment for HF dipoles and it works in theory and sort of in practice, but the balloon inevitably drags down and sideways unless it is DEAD calm.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    You would need to fix such a camera to the gimbal. Anyone worked with the Zenmuse mounts?
    No.. What I meant was that if you can get a video signal out of the
    Gimbaled camera you could send a copy of that image to the 5.8Ghz
    Video Xmitter and get a lower resolution image from the ground receiver
    to frame shots.

Jerry
    Last edited by lasersbee; 09-26-2016 at 09:44. Reason: spelling errors
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post

On the structural front, I am impressed with the carbon fiber tubes from Dragon plate that I have been testing (why all these dragons?). I have worked with composites in the past and even with carbon fiber, but it has always been hand lay up and at best with vacuum bagging. But, this high temperature, pressure cured, pre-fabricated material is spooky. I am building articulated joints for the arms and when stressed, these thin wall tubes will shear off the aluminum retaining pins in the joints.

Rock West made a video demonstrating their manufacturing and not surprisingly the carbon is stronger than aluminum, but notice the relative stiffness at about 50 seconds into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKE...onUoqj7aLJs-Yw
    Some people seem to advocate a carbon fiber / kevlar composite as kevlar is more impact resistant but carbon is stiffer.

The COMBINATION of Kevlar and carbon is usually a bad idea. The reason is kind of interesting. Carbon fiber has a very high tensile AND compression modulus. Kevlar has a pretty high tensile modulus but a low compression modulus (several times lower than carbon). As a composite Kevlar and carbon structure is loaded, unless it is solely in tension, as in a rope, the compression element will fail earlier depending on the fraction of Kevlar. The one exception to this is when a very small amount of Kevlar is included that serves to limit the shattering fragments that can result when carbon structures fail. This works because Kevlar has a greater toughness than carbon. It will stretch further, absorbing energy.

I think this youtube channel is pretty dang inspiring - I mean, these guys are pretty much Pro pilots, getting their sponsors to fly them all over the world to make cool videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhJpdCZNSDc

Re Planters concern about mis-alignment between FPV camera vs video camera - I think you are over thinking this a bit. Most people are using GoPro or other action sports cameras with huge FOVs. Also, most racing quads have adjustable platforms for the FPV camera so you can position it in your most comfortable position with respect to the horizon - most of these pilots have the cameras pointing up at something like 20-40 degrees because they spend most of their their time flying fast with the quad tilted down for fast forward flight - but it really is usually adjustable for your style of flying.

If your ultimate goal is to build a high-end AP platform, there are lots of other considerations - and many times the gimbals can be more expensive than everything in the drone combined.

Here is a video of me working on improving my FPV skills - getting use to flying through FPV goggles is quite a different beast. I wish there was better HD downlink tech available - but it is just not there yet at the latency that is required for these speedy racers.

Last edited by BlueFang; 09-29-2016 at 00:05.

If your ultimate goal is to build a high-end AP platform, there are lots of other considerations - and many times the gimbals can be more expensive than everything in the drone combined.
    That is absolutely correct. That is what I am doing. Maybe I am too old and not twitchy enough. I am routinely the "target" whenever I participate in online gaming. On the other hand, the control systems are becoming sophisticated enough that the capabilities are really, really exciting. One system I am looking at, can maintain position accuracy within 2cm...TWO CENTIMETERS anywhere. IR and ultrosonic obstacle avoidance can be added as well. Driver-less cars will become common. For those that want to drive their own, that's fine, but imagine what you will be able to accomplish when you are free to focus on higher level activities. A lot of these incredible videos we can watch on You Tube are now doable because the platforms are becoming convenient.

Default Carbon Fiber

Cool video Planters. Thanks for sharing.

-G

Rock West made a video demonstrating their manufacturing and not surprisingly the carbon is stronger than aluminum, but notice the relative stiffness at about 50 seconds into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKE...onUoqj7aLJs-Yw[/QUOTE]

Not exactly the same thing Eric is planning to build, but for less than $200 you can get an autonomous high-def camera drone to follow you around while you do whatever...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...era_Drone.html

Seriously thinking about getting one while they still offer the free shipping...

Adam

EDIT: Resurrected another thread where we were talking about the predecessor to this thing, but I just noticed both threads are in the Lounge... D'oh! Redundant posts are redundant.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

the last thing i need is my own drone spying on me.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Not exactly the same thing Eric is planning to build, but for less than $200 you can get an autonomous high-def camera drone to follow you around while you do whatever...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...era_Drone.html

Seriously thinking about getting one while they still offer the free shipping...

Adam

EDIT: Resurrected another thread where we were talking about the predecessor to this thing, but I just noticed both threads are in the Lounge... D'oh! Redundant posts are redundant.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    the last thing i need is my own drone spying on me.
    I imagine the drone following me around for my normal activities . . playing with my child, going to the grocery store, cleaning, cooking, spending time on the Internet. . . Oh crap, can't have that last one recorded! Guess no selfie drone for me!

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"