Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone make a decent commercial lumia projector?

A one slot rgb lumia with extra effects - you can definitely find somebody to build that for 2k!
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    I imagine that thing generates a serious amount of torque. I can relate to your "just okay" point. I will always be a child of my Laserium experience. The 1st projector I ever saw had 7 lumia effects and one scan glass for each scanner that were in a tray that a monster Ledex solenoid banged into place - all or nothing. The 2nd projector added 4 more lumia effects and 3 scan through effects for each of the 4 scanners that were individually addressable - with smaller but still noisy solenoids. (Of course the music was almost always much louder.) Then they added a 5 position "rock" turret over one of the lumia positions. Then they added a 5 position fiber turret bolted onto the side of the projector and fed from another lumia position. Somewhere along the line they added quick release scan through mounts so those too could be changed between shows. Laserium didn't go in for minimalism when it came to lumia. One of the things they got right from the beginning was having the option of adding a second motor driven or stationary pin registered effect to each lumia position. One of the things they got wrong was everything started from the same plane and built out. So when someone built a really cool effect that was thicker than normal (like one of my favorites that had two faceted crystal balls about two inches apart counter rotating in the beam path...) they stuck way out into space - requiring you position it next to narrow field effects to avoid shadows. Way back when the projectors had a cover that was opened as the lights went down at the beginning of the show and was closed as the lights came up. Adding the "rock turret" required the "pie tin mod" for the projector cover.
    They can deliver some really good torque. I doubt I would ever need that much but they're nice because I know I could put something pretty heavy on them and they'll turn without a fuss. The Laserium lumia effects and scan through effects happen to fall in the "gorgeous" category for me. After all, Seeing my first Laserium show at Griffith got me into lasers in the first place. It would be very interesting to see the evolution of the Laserium projectors over the years. The output never seemed to get too "complicated". It stayed smart and mesmerizing. There is some serious artistry in those Laserium projectors, both inside and out!

For everyone else; this is how it's done, lads: http://photonlexicon.com/gallery/v/u...showsimon/csl/
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

LaserKing missed a chance to have decent LUMIA =IS on the LK P2 -which AFAIK IS NO LONGER BEING OFFERED.
    AND the pics shown at the LK 3D are STILL NOT at all what you can do w/ the present version of LK 3Ds-

My LK 3D group buy went 'sideways; LK sent wrong ones-we had to return (at MY expense) and get a second order shipped which were ALSO wrong--And currently LK still has pics shown that CANNOT be made.

2nd order of LK 3Ds were only kept out of frustration ad fear of losing more $$ on shipping

w/o using DMX the :LK -PD2 was too fast..
    LUMIA efx 1) was way too fast (>1/2rpm)-I go super slow like 6RPH (hour) and some at 1/3rd PRM.
    efx 2 was 'static lumia' NO movement- just RGB and combos blinking off and on-- awful and embarrassing for LK.

IF they have time-Swammi-CDBeam or Platinum can/could build a 'real' pro LUMIA for you.. I don't buy I make.. none FS just yet-
    \
    will have lumia parts FS soon
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 07-30-2017 at 12:47.
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

Agreed Hack time permitting I would replace the motor on the LK-PD3 with something a bit slower. Maybe if do a group buy she could make something better

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLavender View Post
    Agreed Hack time permitting I would replace the motor on the LK-PD3 with something a bit slower. Maybe if do a group buy she could make something better
    Yeah that does sound like a good idea. I've got an LK-PD2 that I upgraded with better galvos, an additional 3 scan through glass that I got from a sample kit from Whitmore Glass (getting me to 7 effects plus open) analog drivers, a better PSU, and a more powerful green module. I also spent quite a while cutting and filing the wheel and galvo mounts to expand the optical deflection range for the open slot for graphics/abstracts. I think I did a rebuild thread somewhere on the forum a couple years ago.

The LK-PD units are small so they likely meet "the wife factor". Although I fully agree that the rotation speed of the effects is too fast, you can always scan a very slowly moving beam (or multiple beams) through the effects via Lasershow software that also features DMX control. The downside is the lack of ability to do stacked effects (two or more effects at the same time) but that is definitely outweighed by the other benefits IMO.

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    They can deliver some really good torque. I doubt I would ever need that much but they're nice because I know I could put something pretty heavy on them and they'll turn without a fuss. The Laserium lumia effects and scan through effects happen to fall in the "gorgeous" category for me. After all, Seeing my first Laserium show at Griffith got me into lasers in the first place. It would be very interesting to see the evolution of the Laserium projectors over the years. The output never seemed to get too "complicated". It stayed smart and mesmerizing. There is some serious artistry in those Laserium projectors, both inside and out!

For everyone else; this is how it's done, lads: http://photonlexicon.com/gallery/v/u...showsimon/csl/
    When Laserium was born they didn't have the technology to record the shows, so having a person in the loop was a necessity. (When Laserium opened at Griffith in '73 there were several people in the loop.) The Mark IV was the first standardized machine, and it had an "if it's not permitted it's forbidden" design philosophy. Things like color modulation, joystick, quadrature oscillators had to be enabled in the data. The data channel consisted of 160 bits updated 40 time per second, the data decoder consisted of 7 wire wrapped Vector boards. Encoding the data track was usually done by two guys working in concert one running the encoder and one running a projector in real time. The "Master" Encoder got a bunch of filters and triggers and this and that hung on it over the years, but 160 bits with hardwired connections imposed significant limitations. Laserium II introduced a new design philosophy where the Laserist had much more control, and could override parts or all of the original choreography, but there was only one laserist so getting "too complicated" was hard. One of the lessons that you learned when you started to use color mod, chopper, and what all in places where they weren't originally intended was you could leave the audience behind. Rocking the audience back in their seats was always a goal, but so was being subtle. There was competition. The shows evolved in a variety of ways in front of a variety of audiences and sometimes really wonderful things happened. (And of course - sometimes not...)
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by hakzaw1 View Post
    LaserKing missed a chance to have decent LUMIA on the LK P3-
    LUMIA efx 1) was way too fast (>1/2rpm)-I go super slow like 6RPH (hour) and some at 1/3rd PRM.
    efx 2 was 'static lumia' NO movement- just RGB and combos blinking off and on-- awful and embarrassing for LK.

IF they have time-Swammi-CDBeam or Platinum can/could build a 'real' pro LUMIA for you.. I don't buy I make.. none FS just yet-
    \
    will have lumia parts FS soon
    CORRECTION--
    1ST I should NOT comment on the LK PD3 since I only have experience with the PD2.

2nd I recently learned that w/DMX one is able to change the LUMIA speed--have not seen but have no reason to doubt.
    I skipped school on he day the did DMX..
    aside from on/off and speed control , I cannot imagine what else DMX can do. I am no fan of 'lumia strobe' at any speed..
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-