Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone make a decent commercial lumia projector?

Quote Originally Posted by hakzaw1 View Post
    how do I find out if ttl or not?? w/ Beyond mybe??
    Well, I just disconnected the modulation and soldered a new line directly from the ILDA input pins and plugged that in and gave it less than 5V and measured the output with my power meter. I could have just used a variable power supply of course. The reds and blue drivers had decent linearity between 0.4V and 5V.

It's too bad you aren't going to be at SELEM this year as I could do the work for you in a few minutes.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

perhaps we should suggest a group buy with LK for LKPD3 slower motor, 520nM green and analogue modulation hint hint Linna

Great posts ALL.
    The PD2 arrived Tue and surprise-- DHL now calls and lets you know the tracking---before you can get that anywhere else.
    Waiting now on reply on how many (if any) PD2 are left in stock.. IMHO we have a better chance of getting a nice GB price on the discontinued PD2 than the PD3-- we shall see.

please note however GBs done on small items are a better deal that large items as it makes no sense to send the larger to the GB host as the reship cost negates an savings made...

possible exception...
    have them ALL sent to David for modding and pay him for that service and the reshipping--about 20$ to CONUS. (cheapest way) assuming David has the time.

NOW I wish even more that I was attending!!!! ... getting help from David in person ROCKS!!.. I KNOW..
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

Anybody got a lead on a motor for lumia? Or. A reduction gear box for one. I’m looking around and they either cost 2k or are to fast. Has anyone used one matched to the earths rotation for astronomy successfully. Those seem possible to get. Maybe increase the speed on that?

Any servos accurate enough? Do the turn full 360? Servo would be really nice for control. Maybe have two. One turns one way one turns the other way that then reverses?

For lumia, i like these guys (0.6rpm version):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-6RPM-120R...LOUkhRd5xqJdvw

I control the speed using DMX via PWM LED dimmer. I have a diode across the motors to counter back EMF. I have gotten these to about 0.2 RPM. Pretty decent torque.

As far as a Right Ascension motor, I would just go with a commercial one. They are normally inexpensive. Of course, I am assuming you are using an EQ mount and not an Alt/Az mount.

Thanks I ordered one up that might work

Ordered four of them. Thinking I can drive a second reduction with the output of another. Might give 0.1 or lower. That’s slow enough. Maybe I can do variable speeds by putting reductions on a single shaft and changing how it taps a set of belts.

Should I make it turn the whole projector and hold the lumia still just for fun!

Angry

....OR....you could try these....from Servocity...
    https://www.servocity.com/0-5-rpm-gear-motor
    0.5 RPM....reduce the speed down with a PWM board....and further speed reduction down with a pulley system....This is what I use !!!
    The area of Lumia has a huge degree of unexplored organic options. I am interested in your Standing Wave trials !!!! I have several, several trials for Lumia in the que !!!
    Timmy Leary would be proud !!!
    CDBEAM
    Added note...Yikes....The ones from Servocity cost 3X...Ahhh...so what...Cost is NO OBJECT hahahahahaha !!! Typically...ya get what ya pay for....Then again....it all depends on you level of need for reliability !!! Our Lumia Machines....are not going to Outer Space !!....But....then again....if you have a show to do....no time for a motor to go T's up !!!
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 01-01-2018 at 04:59.
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Most high gear ratio motors (even the expensive ones) have enough backlash to allow your Lumia effect to jump when its center of gravity goes "over the top". A felt washer between the effect and the motor housing or mount can dampen the jump.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Do you think using a rubber tube as a drive shaft would allow for absorption of that effect? I never e petted such issue making a slow motor. It’s really not that easy to make accurately. That’s why I’d rather start with a 10 rpm and gear it down.