Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Does anyone make a decent commercial lumia projector?

A rubber tube can act as an excellent flex coupling to counteract any misalignment between the motor and to whatever it's coupled, but the function of the felt washer is to introduce some resistance to keep the motor from bouncing back and forth within its backlash tolerence. I bought about three dozen really nice Olympus brushless DC motors with beautifully made 1000:1 planetary gear heads off of eBay that I intended to use to build up a Laserium capable projector (and always intended to use felt washers if needed), but I broke my hand and Jon came to my rescue & loaned me a projector for the duration of the gig, and yes I used felt washers with the original Laserium portescap motors where needed.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

So I've been watching some video of laserium lumia. Do you use a separate wheel and motor for each output and how do you keep the lumia so well defined on the edges? Slits holes? masking? If not trade secret please let me in on the method. I see lots of loose lumia that goes everywhere but only your is clear on the edges with primary refractions and little diffraction splash. Almost looks like layers stacked in photoshop.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...27&FORM=VRDGAR

this one below impressed me but see how the lumia is not bounded like yours.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...7476&FORM=VIRE

First and foremost the beams shouldn't be superimposed. There should be discreet beams not one beam made up of stacked red, grn, & blu beams. A real yellow is a great compliment to the hot red vs the cold grn & blu. Second the beams should be pretty much the same size when they hit the Lumia effect. The Lumia projector I'm building has the ability to control the beam size at the effect.

Yes, Laserium used one or more motor per Lumia effect. Getting stable motion of multiple effects with belts, gears, etc requires some pretty good design and construction techniques.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    So I've been watching some video of laserium lumia. Do you use a separate wheel and motor for each output and how do you keep the lumia so well defined on the edges? Slits holes? masking? If not trade secret please let me in on the method. I see lots of loose lumia that goes everywhere but only your is clear on the edges with primary refractions and little diffraction splash. Almost looks like layers stacked in photoshop.
    Materials make a big difference too. Of course, there is no such thing as "wrong" material but if you're after a specific look, materials can be "wrong". I too got the sample pack of pattern glass from Whittemore-Durgin and most of the glass, for me, is unusable for lumia. It scatters light everywhere, even at short distances. Same with fluorescent light diffusers. Some materials are better than others. I have found that hobnail glass and glass that has a hobnail-like surface works very well for tight images with well defined, almost hard, edges. Playing with divergence and beam size at the glass yields different results too; some good, some bad. I also agree with what Brian said, RGB lumia suffers greatly from a lack of yellow. It's something I have been trying to remedy and the only thing I can think of is DPSS yellow, summation yellow or a yellow He-Ne; massive bucks or low power . Of course, there is always large frame ion but I am trying to keep my rig small with reasonable power requirements.
    Last edited by absolom7691; 01-03-2018 at 03:40.

I want to try a very parallelized regulars light source for yellow. Might work. I saw something simulating laser back in the 80s or 90s that was regular flashlight bulb focused well enough to put a tight spot on the wall. Was sharper image thing. It was white. Not sure if lumia will just wash out but like to try it. Yellowon the cheap.

Interesting. Perhaps a single chip yellow LED. I'm curious if that could be collimated well enough. At least it's not expensive to play around with.