Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2017 Sign up thread

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    SELEM is kind of like that Girls Girls Girls song by Motley Crue except the opposite.
    My wife would object to that on many levels.

First being, she has been at most of the SELEMs since the beginning

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    Does anyone have some black lights we can set up in the cafeteria for the indoor drone racing?
    I was talking to Adam it and we think it would look cool to light up the fluorescent orange pucks that I plan to use for the race track. Not sure how many/bright they would need to be. Enough for the cafeteria though.
    I have 3x 4' 32W fluorescent blacklights that I could probably pack if needed, a handful of 26W CFLs on clamp lights, and one ADJ LED blacklight bar that I will definitely have with me. The LEDs give off quite a bit more visible light than the fluorescents, but that also seems to make things glow even brighter; it's surprisingly powerful for its size.

Quote Originally Posted by singlemode View Post
    I have 3x 4' 32W fluorescent blacklights that I could probably pack if needed, a handful of 26W CFLs on clamp lights, and one ADJ LED blacklight bar that I will definitely have with me. The LEDs give off quite a bit more visible light than the fluorescents, but that also seems to make things glow even brighter; it's surprisingly powerful for its size.
    Brad is bringing his, but if you would like to add to it you are more than welcome.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I don't think you can really over do it with blacklights. It would take an awful lot to say, "wow, that's too much blacklight". Bring 'em if you have room.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I don't think you can really over do it with blacklights. It would take an awful lot to say, "wow, that's too much blacklight". Bring 'em if you have room.
    I'm thinking strange looking sunburns received while wearing FPV goggles in the room might get you to say that!
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

I havent been on here for a while... But finally got my registration sent in. A little late but not as late as last year

See you guys next weekend.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by icecruncher View Post
    My wife would object to that on many levels.
    She might not, Neil! Gary said it was like the song, only not... So it's more like "Dudes, Dudes, Dudes" instead of "Girls, Girls, Girls". Get it?

First being, she has been at most of the SELEMs since the beginning
    Indeed she has. So she can tell all her friends that she hung out for a whole week with a bunch of guys, and all her friends will be envious! (Well, at least until they realize that we're all just a bunch of geeks, that is!)

Quote Originally Posted by singlemode View Post
    I have 3x 4' 32W fluorescent blacklights that I could probably pack if needed, a handful of 26W CFLs on clamp lights, and one ADJ LED blacklight bar that I will definitely have with me.
    The more black lights the better! I was worried about trying to do that race in the dark, but if we have enough black lighting, we might be able to pull it off with no regular lights at all, which would be pretty cool I think. (I still think my piloting skills are not up to the task though. My Inductrix flies like a pig and I already have trouble with altitude control... I can only imagine how much more difficult it will be in low light conditions!) Still, it should make for some interesting crash videos at least!

Quote Originally Posted by drm916 View Post
    I havent been on here for a while... But finally got my registration sent in. A little late but not as late as last year
    See you guys next weekend.
    Glad you were able to clear your schedule to make it, dude! Any chance you can bring your Beam Bars this year? Would love to see those on one of the trusses in the gym...

Adam

PS: Man, less than a week 'til load in! Where did the time go?

Sounds like the blacklights are definitely coming then...and I agree, can you ever have too many? The home theater/laser room currently has about 300W of fluorescents

If lack of visible light is a concern, I also have 12 philips hues that I use for events that I'd be happy to toss in as well. If we found a few more of those cheap clamp lights it would be easy to experiment with some dim red/blue/violet accent lights to preserve the mood, and there could even be some basic color chases/fades around the room/track.

We've got lights in the cafeteria that we could use, but I kind of liked the idea of a "night race" indoors with nothing but black lights lighting up the racecourse and the pilots following a string of glowing dots in their goggles.

I just wan't sure if the FPV goggles would work well enough in the low-light conditions. Having extra black-lights should give us some ambient glow from the floor (and any white shirts!) in the room, which I hope to be enough to make the goggles work.

But yeah, worst case we can just turn on one set of room lights if we need more light.

Adam

I won't be in for load in.. I can't make it till thurs morning. I do want to bring my clubmax... but I think my wife is gonna drop me off about noon on Thurs. Is there an area to sign in/report to? This is my first selem.. place I can place my boxed kvant until i/ we need it?