Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829 LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2017 Sign up thread

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Just getting home and into bed after another fantastic week. I'll add more later but, the trip home was uneventful. And yes Hank, we played some of the 'German shows". You'll just have to come to SELEM 12 to see some more.
    PM Sent...

Here is ~50 minutes of my DJ set from Saturday night... The first two songs have synced video / laser - and after the short intro, the audio is direct from my mixer. After that my camera stopped recording for some reason. Other video footage is just random gym footage.

Thanks to Newlin, Will, Adam and Rick for stopping by to provide some realtime laser control. This was late Saturday night and everyone was super tired from blowing it out on Friday night this year...

So my 8 hour drive turned into 12 hours.
    Somewhere in South Carolina just before the Georgia boarder someone lost what looked like a couch on interstate 95 south. The larger pieces were off the road, but hundreds of smaller 10" or less pieces were scattered all over the highway. I did my best to avoid them but managed to hit one that took a gouge out of my right rear tire and wheel well. My dash lit up like a Christmas tree. "Right Rear Tire Zero Air Pressure Maximum Speed 55 MPH". After pulling off at the next exit to do an inspection of the damage I started looking for the nearest tire shop. Firestone was 13 miles away so I headed in that direction and gave them a call about 1/2 way there to make sure they had the tire. The guy actually laughed out loud. "No we don't carry anything like that. I can have it Wednesday."
    As it turns out Corvettes are rare in the back hills of Georgia. If I were looking for some over sized 4 wheel drive tires they had them in every flavor.

So here is my problem:
    Corvette's don't have spare tires instead the come with run flat tires. These tires are rated to go max 50 miles. I have already driven roughly half that distance.
    No one within 100 miles on a Sunday afternoon has them or is open.
    A tow truck home will cost roughly $600.

So without a solution I decided to slowly continue driving home. Lets see how far this run flat will go. I am over 300 miles away.
    During the snails pace trek I was passed by a U-haul pulling a car hauler. Bingo a solution!!!!
    My wife called U-haul and made a reservation at the closest one. Upon arrival I was informed that they didn't have the truck or trailer there. Corporate screwed up. The nearest one with the equipment was 18 miles away.
    After arriving I ended up realizing that the vette is too low to drive up the ramps of the trailer. I ended up backing the trailer against a hill to decrease the angle and used wood from an old palette to raise the car enough to clear the front air dam.
    I made it home without incident and found a local shop that had tires. $1200 later I'm back up and running.

Other than that I had a great time at SELEM and think it was the best yet! I can't wait for SELEM 12.
    Chris

FYI I ended up driving over 200 miles on the run flat rated to go 50.

Bummer Chris, but perhaps you should think of it as lucky to have had an issue enroute with the sports car instead of the Cesna! $1,200 for a tire is brutal though. I think I'll stick with vehicles for the "unwashed masses" for at least the time being! ��

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Thanks everyone for another great year

Special thanks for providing food again - having food at the venue means more time for non-stop laser activity

Now to get some galvos...

Default Awesome first SELEM!!

First, I want to say- this was the first year for me at SELEM, and it was totally mind blowing. I witnessed so many amazing things. Between the LSX mastery of Chris and Jason, the Pink Floyd show with David's mixed gas laser, and the insane amount of knowledge everyone was willing to share. I thought it was funny how all of us programming nerds flocked to the corner of the cafeteria. I had a great time talking with Aron, Johnny, and Brandon. It made for an excellent first SELEM!!

Here's some of my favorite photos and videos I was able to capture:
    https://mega.nz/#F!NHB3XKjR!MEQEe3Lla--JsFVzhRC4fw

There are more group photos on the Mega cloud, attached is what I think is the best one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Group Photo5.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	52688

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    So my 8 hour drive turned into 12 hours.
    Somewhere in South Carolina just before the Georgia boarder someone lost what looked like a couch on interstate 95 south. The larger pieces were off the road, but hundreds of smaller 10" or less pieces were scattered all over the highway. I did my best to avoid them but managed to hit one that took a gouge out of my right rear tire and wheel well. My dash lit up like a Christmas tree. "Right Rear Tire Zero Air Pressure Maximum Speed 55 MPH". After pulling off at the next exit to do an inspection of the damage I started looking for the nearest tire shop. Firestone was 13 miles away so I headed in that direction and gave them a call about 1/2 way there to make sure they had the tire. The guy actually laughed out loud. "No we don't carry anything like that. I can have it Wednesday."
    As it turns out Corvettes are rare in the back hills of Georgia. If I were looking for some over sized 4 wheel drive tires they had them in every flavor.

So here is my problem:
    Corvette's don't have spare tires instead the come with run flat tires. These tires are rated to go max 50 miles. I have already driven roughly half that distance.
    No one within 100 miles on a Sunday afternoon has them or is open.
    A tow truck home will cost roughly $600.

So without a solution I decided to slowly continue driving home. Lets see how far this run flat will go. I am over 300 miles away.
    During the snails pace trek I was passed by a U-haul pulling a car hauler. Bingo a solution!!!!
    My wife called U-haul and made a reservation at the closest one. Upon arrival I was informed that they didn't have the truck or trailer there. Corporate screwed up. The nearest one with the equipment was 18 miles away.
    After arriving I ended up realizing that the vette is too low to drive up the ramps of the trailer. I ended up backing the trailer against a hill to decrease the angle and used wood from an old palette to raise the car enough to clear the front air dam.
    I made it home without incident and found a local shop that had tires. $1200 later I'm back up and running.

Other than that I had a great time at SELEM and think it was the best yet! I can't wait for SELEM 12.
    Chris

FYI I ended up driving over 200 miles on the run flat rated to go 50.

I can trade you my Jeep. It sounds like it might work out better for you. Hitting couches, driving up trailers, spare tires = no problem. Seriously, though, that sucks, but glad you made it home.
    Last edited by JohnYayas; 08-15-2017 at 15:08.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I can trade you my Jeep. It sounds like it might work out better for you. Hitting couches, driving up trailers, spare times = no problem. Seriously, though, that sucks, but glad you made it home.
    If you get the car you get the payment too. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFang View Post
    Group Photo - this one without me because for some reason the timer photos turned out blurry
    is your camera an SLR or mirrorless? if it's an SLR try using mirror lockup on the timer, so the mirror stays up during the countdown and just the shutter opens, sometimes the mirror opening can shake the tripod

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    Were there any laser shows from Germany this year?
    Shows aus Deutchland beginnen um acht Uhr im Auditorum!

also want to add, I had a blast, every time I set off on the drive to Newton I ask myself why I do this to myself every year, then I spend a week with some of the greatest people on the planet and I remember why... I fucking love you guys!