Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2017 Sign up thread

Well, I'm looking for things to add to my list of "things to do in the southeast while waiting a week for the eclipse". Looks like I'll add Carowinds to the list for Monday or Tuesday.

Well....ok....I think I might actually come this year. First time.

Any word on hotel discounts?
    I'm getting to Charlotte Airport around 12:30pm Tuesday Aug 8th (barring flight interruptions like last year...got there a day late but got a $200 voucher - which I used towards This year's flight!). Have a small rental car if someone else arriving near that time.

I still need to book my hotel, too. A lot of people stay at HIE but if you want a cheap (but as nice) room you can use Priceline.com and get something very cheap in Hickory.

I got a Honda element I might sleep in.. is there a parking lot I could use? Ha

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by 10Fenny View Post
    I got a Honda element I might sleep in.. is there a parking lot I could use? Ha

There have been people with travel campers who have stayed in the lot of the venue.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I still need to book my hotel, too. A lot of people stay at HIE but if you want a cheap (but as nice) room you can use Priceline.com and get something very cheap in Hickory.
    Well...I took JohnYayas' advice...and did a priceline search for hotels in the area...

Ended up booking a non-smoking room with two double beds at the Days Inn and Suites https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/days-i...ckory/overview for $58.80 a night...Tuesday, August 8th until Monday, August 14th.

This is 12.6 miles and 19 minutes from the venue...comparable to the HIE normally visited for around $100 nightly...

Have a rental car set...

Looking for a roommate.

I think I stayed there one year. Not too bad but not as nice as the HI and you might miss out on the late night conference room LEM's.

I stayed at Best Western. It had a good breakfast. Do people still do the late night LEMs in the conference room or just hang out at Club SELEM. 10pm I am ready for bed these days so it doesn't matter one way or the other to me.

They Do often meet in the conference room...sometimes till early morning...as in 4AM!

They had a bunch of APC 40s and the like set up so peeps could control lasers in Club SELEM last year...had to pry fingers off buttons to shut 'er down on some nights!

I personally have only spent a short while in the after-event gatherings...partially cause the technical discussions were way over my head...but Mostly because...after a FULL day of Lasers and associated classes and presentations...I was Ready to hit the sack to rest up for the Next day!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I stayed at Best Western. It had a good breakfast. Do people still do the late night LEMs in the conference room or just hang out at Club SELEM. 10pm I am ready for bed these days so it doesn't matter one way or the other to me.
    Last edited by rodman1369; 06-18-2017 at 12:08.