Thread: Paper to wood photo transfer?

Default Paper to wood photo transfer?

What's the cleanest method to transfer a picture from a piece of (A2, A3, A4) paper to a polished flat wood piece?
    After searching the web for a day I found the most popular method which can be found is to be using a laser printer printed regular thin paper and using acetone to transfer the powder. Inkjet printed photos don't seem to work, I tried. But don't know about the type of paper, tried regular paper and results were far from satisfactory, only 50% gets transferred. I tried applying acetone on the wood piece itself first, on both sides of the paper as well as on one side, used a plastic card and also a spoon for rubbing and let it dry the second time, but results seem to be the same. The acetone is 99.6%, may be the issue.
    Anyone else tried doing this before and can share their experience?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

how detailed is the picture? it may be better just to laser engrave the wood.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I've used engraving and laser cutting for other projects, here I'll need paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Finale View Post
    I've used engraving and laser cutting for other projects, here I'll need paint.
    What paint do you recommend?
    Last edited by NormanRak; 10-15-2021 at 06:29.

... search infos for "thermo transfer printing" - it's today mostly done with laser-printer toner, but long before with coloured wax on plastic ribbons and printheads with tiny "hot dots" to melt the wax locally while pressing it onto the surface ...

Viktor