Thread: RGB Lasers LP2000 laser - Technical Info.

Default RGB Lasers LP2000 laser - Technical Info.

Hi all,

I'm trying to check-out an RGB Lasers LP2000 laser projector (nominally 1500mW?). I recently bought this ex-rental laser from a professional laser display company. I have the user manual, but I'm looking for extra guidance & advice.

I do not yet actually have a multi-channel DAC interface, or any laser control software. I do have Popelscan & a rudimentary DAC that uses the old parallel port. I could try this out on my oscilloscope in XY mode.

I plan to get an open-source Helios system in time.

In the interim I'm going to use my Arduino Due microcontroller & write some simple C code to perform a simple flat-scan, or tunnel effect (if I can find out how to generate sine-waves with a 90 degree phase difference in the C language!

The Due clock runs at 84MHz & has twin 12 bit DACs ('proper' non PWM ones). I hope to use these for the X & Y Galvo outputs. I have the standard op amp circuits to convert the 0 to 3v3 outputs from the DACs to the differential bipolar voltages needed for the ILDA interface.

Does anyone know of an Interface Control Document (ICD) for the ILDA interface?

In particular how does the R, G & B external modulation/intensity work? Are they just differential analogue voltages from 0 to +5Vdc corresponding to 0 to 100% intensity? Or is it controlled digitally by some 15kHz signal? Possible PWM, or not?

I understand that the Galvo X & Y signals are differential voltages, so is that +5Vdc to -5Vdc for horizontal & vertical Galvo? Or is the control voltage +10Vdc to -10Vdc as per the ILDA Standard Projector Standard?

Also there wasn't a key for the safety switch, so I will have replace it. Is it possible to obtain a copy of the circuit/schematic diagram for this laser?

I initially just want to see the quality of the beam, so will have to work out the interlock in the ILDA interface. Maybe (very carefully) manually steer the beam around by carefully applying voltage to the X & Y inputs. Then use the Arduino to do a flat scan using a triangular or sine wave. But what sort of frequency?

In time I will get myself a Helios DAC & some control software.

I know this is a bit of a big ask, but I'd be very grateful for any information. (Also posted this on the PL Facebook 'thingy' too, as unsure which to use.)

Many thanks,

Si Bond.

Lightbulb

Good Evening, Mr. Bond...

Quote Originally Posted by simonb View Post
    ...I'm trying to check-out an RGB Lasers LP2000 laser projector ...I'd be very grateful for any information. ...
    I deal mostly with the next-Gen model 'Compact' line from RGB (absolutely Love them..) but I'd check with Karl, aka 'Laser Wizardry' http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...Laser-Wizardry ..I (believe..) he still may have an LP-series PJ or two or five, and very-likely has good documentation / info, etc.. Fwiw..

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Thank you very much.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by simonb View Post
    Thank you very much.
    Simon,

LW is so busy being a parent and business person that he rarely reads PL... You might want to try "laserist" facebook rather then a PM to get his attention.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...