Thread: Help me become a Laser Service Technician! Or should I not?

Default Help me become a Laser Service Technician! Or should I not?

I have been an electronics technician for 10+ years now, all the while buying, repairing, playing, and vaporizing with lasers on the side. I have been deeply interested in lasers since I saw my first laser show at the Buhl Planitarium in the 80's. I love controlling Photons and I think the natural progression of my career should move to being a Laser service technician of some sort, so I can do what I Love and get paid for it! I currently have a good job and wouldn't want to make a wrong choice to change careers. BUT........... I would appreciate opinions and comments about what I am thinking of doing!!

Where are you located?

I'm in Pittsburgh PA. I am also interested in finding out what additional school I may need. I have an associates degree in computer electronics engineering technology.

I'd recommend dropping these good folks a line and seeing if they have any summer internships and/or advice for you. They're one of the larger companies in the industry and also located in Pittsburgh

http://www.lasershows.net/contact/

Thanks for the good tip!! I will contact them

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Usual qualification these days is a MS or Phd in Physics or Electrical Engineering. I'm a former nationwide and international FSE for a major laser supplier.

You spend 90% of your time doing phone support, even when driving from city to city or setting at the airport. Usually with grad students or tech staff who have no EE or Physics, or hands on skills. Often they just broke it or have never done any of the planned maintenance.

You'll be driven by your boss to avoid travel at all costs, yet in most cases you may spend as much as 30 to 60 days on the road with just a suitcase and a toolkit that has to pass some strict TSA tequirements.

If your married, you'll not see her much, and when you do get home the honey-dos and the stress of having to pack a week into just a weekend was very stressful for all married/dating FSEs. Thursday evening or Friday morning you get home, Sunday afternoon your getting airborn again.

Boss solved much of that by hiring the wives, sticking them in the office, but that is not the case at most places.

Did i mention constant travel leads to being highly disoriented in about 60% of people.

Do machine tools instead of laser. Make better money and only have to cover one or two states.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

For the factory doing the same task on a bench, a AS + 10 years would be a start. For going on the road, not much chance.

Steve