Thread: Candela/Cynosure Dye Laser Manuals/Specs Needed

Default Candela/Cynosure Dye Laser Manuals/Specs Needed

I recently acquired two scientific dye laser heads, one Cynosure (Sll-250) and one Candela (LFDL-3) . These heads also came with a pump setup, lamp pump power supply and dual delay trigger module. All of the equipment is in very good condition. I'm confident about figuring out most of how everything needs to be setup. All the cables are included, but the manuals are missing. Both Candela and Cynosure have moved on to medical lasers systems at this point, so acquiring information from them is not gonna happen. I've already called. If anybody has any information on these systems I would be very greatful.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6438.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	52395Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6455.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	52396Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6456.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	52397Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6437.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	52398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6490.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	52399Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6492.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	52400Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6485.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	52401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6489.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	52402

I contact Ron Mercord at Laser Innovations in California. He's quite knowledgeable about dye lasers and might have the info you need.

You could also try Planters. A friend of mine in CA had a more recent one (medical style) and he ended up scrapping the original controller since it was so complicated. Those ones look pretty manageable, at least they are not intentionally designed to prevent the laser from turning on without paying for a license

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Take the time to calculate the implosion energy for the lamps, you can safely assume 740 Torr for the tube pressure, however I suspect they run their custom lamps lower then that. The formula is posted many places on the web, a quick Google will find it. Then adjust the capacitor voltage to run at 30-50% of Implosion energy or lower.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thanks for the tips. I will contact Ron and see if he has any info. I sent Planters a PM a week ago, but didn't here anything back. The company I bought these units from had all the manuals, but they cleaned out the lab just before my son got there to pick them up. Chunked all the manuals( cause who would need those? Right?). Having manuals to older laser systems is like icing on the cake. Especially before the digital era, they used that high quality card stock paper, or at least Coherent did. Anyways, should be able to get these running without to much fuss. They also included some holomium oxide filters, not really sure what those are for. The dye chiller/pump has a stainless steel tank with worm. I'm assuming it gets filled with regular water so I can make some rhodamine moonshine! Jk.

A few additional photos. Does anybody know what's the difference between the bubble filter and the kidney filter?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6491.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	52404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6486.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	52405
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6487.JPG  

Well the kidney filter was filled with either ethanol or methanol, found out last night when I cracked it open.

I was able find two of the manuals on EBay this week.