Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ClubSELEM EDM Choices and Scheduling

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Similar to what we had last year. One 18" 1000 W sub, four of the large JBL cabinets (pair of 15" woofers and a large horn), plus four more cabinets with a 12" woofer and a horn each. Total power should be around 7.5 KW RMS. I'll have my mixer, and Brad may bring one of his as well, just in case we have issues with mine.

We can bring line-level audio into the mixer (either mixer) on either 3 pin XLR, balanced 1/4 inch, or RCA if need be. Output to the amps (from the mixer) will be balanced 1/4 inch, since that's what my mixer supports. Daisy-chain cables between the amps will be a mix of 3-pin XLR and balanced 1/4 inch. So just a single run from front of house to the "stage" area where the trusses and speakers will be, and then lots of jumpers in that area... Brad and I plan to set that sound system up fairly early on Tuesday, once we have the power distribution panel hooked up.

A note about audio in the gym: We have *GOT* to be mindful of the residents surrounding the venue. We got shut down last year due to multiple noise complaints. If that happens again this year, we could end up being banned from the facility. So after 10 PM we must ensure that the volume level is reasonable. If you can hear the music across the street, it's too loud. Let's all make an effort to ensure the police don't have to pay us a visit this year!

Adam
    I'll happily play SPL Nazi this year if it helps. I'm a bit sick of having to wear ear protection just to be in the Gym. If we want to keep it to a certain db level in there I'll bring my meter and adjust if/when necessary. Speaking of ear protection, do we want to make it available to all participants? Did we do that last year, I can't recall, but I've seen those jars full outside of datacenters and they probably aren't THAT expensive....

Here's a 200 pair for $22. The fact they have the word laser in the title is just a bonus https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight...=bulk+earplugs

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    One 18" 1000 W sub, four of the large JBL cabinets (pair of 15" woofers and a large horn), plus four more cabinets with a 12" woofer and a horn each. Total power should be around 7.5 KW RMS. I'll have my mixer, and Brad may bring one of his as well

We can bring line-level audio into the mixer (either mixer) on either 3 pin XLR, balanced 1/4 inch, or RCA if need be. Output to the amps (from the mixer) will be balanced 1/4 inch, since that's what my mixer supports. Daisy-chain cables between the amps will be a mix of 3-pin XLR and balanced 1/4 inch. So just a single run from front of house to the "stage" area where the trusses and speakers will be, and then lots of jumpers in that area... Brad and I plan to set that sound system up fairly early on Tuesday, once we have the power distribution panel hooked up.
    Yes, I will have two mixers. Slight correction on the subs - one is 18" w/1600 watts, the other is 18" w/600 watts. What I am thinking though is, we probably don't need both in the Club so, the HD1801 can go in the club and the JBL can go in the auditorium and pair it perhaps with the QSC k-12's. Simple set up. No extra amps necessary. And if more is needed we can supplement that with the pair of K-10's. That might cut down the need to bring all 6 of the JBL's and possibly the need for the snake. Maybe you bring two and I bring two and it saves some van space. Need to think this one through though. I was hoping to test an idea I had last year for the auditorium that would require the use of all 4 of the QSC's for "surround sound".
    PM Sent...

One of the big issues with sound leakage last year wasn't the overall volume level bleeding through the building, but was from the door being opened and sound echoing/reflecting around in the center area and dispersing from there. For the most part it was reasonably low/completely inaudible outside, but every time the inner door was opened it was very noticeable (and there were many times when that door was left ajar for way longer than it should have been). Being better about keeping it completely sealed will help a lot.

I have a ton of pink egg crate foam I've scrounged from the dumpster where I work (yay datacenter "trash"!) that I will see about tossing in Ethan's truck for some bass trapping/overall sound dampening, and while I don't have an "official" calibration mic, I can attach one to my scopemeter and we can do some basic tuning and damping of the low frequencies that tend to get overly resonant/boomy in there. It also might be worth a quick visit to the people across the street to let them know what's going on, make sure they know we're committed to not being a disturbance, and provide our contact info in case we do get noticeable - stuff like that has helped immensely with the events I've worked on in DC, and it's a win-win for everyone if there is communication from the start and nobody has to involve anyone else for a complaint. Since we'll be doing a better job of making the room more audience friendly in general, maybe we even extend an invitation to check it out at night?

All of the DJ gear we'll end up with will have balanced outputs and I'll bring all the cables to connect them to either mixer. Kevin is going to be in Amsterdam for a music festival the week before and likely won't be in until Thursday with his big setup, so I'll toss in another laptop with traktor and an S4 controller to use before that; either one will be easy to load music into, just bring tracks on a USB stick. I'll be there on Tuesday and can definitely help with any setup/cabling for power/audio as well.

Quote Originally Posted by singlemode View Post
    One of the big issues with sound leakage last year wasn't the overall volume level bleeding through the building, but was from the door being opened and sound echoing/reflecting around in the center area and dispersing from there. For the most part it was reasonably low/completely inaudible outside, but every time the inner door was opened it was very noticeable (and there were many times when that door was left ajar for way longer than it should have been). Being better about keeping it completely sealed will help a lot.
    I don't know about last year but the last time I went the sound was very audible across the street. When you are trying to sleep and your house is quiet it doesn't take much noise at all to be annoying. Personally, I don't see the need for extremely loud music but I'm also 50... sooooooo.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Personally, I don't see the need for extremely loud music but I'm also 50... sooooooo.
    Oh crap. What's my excuse then?
    PM Sent...

Ok, just bought a 200pk of those earplugs. I do seem to recall a jar of them in the backstage area of the auditorium... but now we'll have a jar by the Gym door.

Ummm... When I break out the Mariah Carey you guys better be feelin' it

I'll be feeling the door handle on the way out.

What's the feeling on non-coherent lighting for ClubSELEM - specifically big moving heads? We have often had some other intelligent lighting at our disposal but haven't used it much. I'm just trying to determine if they're worth bringing again. There isn't any dancing so, in some respects it's kinda pointless and some may view it as a distraction from the lasers. By the same token, it adds to the "club" feel and, the beam effects from the Vizi beam 2R's and 5R's often give a look similar to lasers but are of course eye safe. Some may want to try and play with controlling them via DMX. But, it's a lot less packing and set up if the feeling is they don't add much or more of a distraction. Thoughts?
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    What's the feeling on non-coherent lighting for ClubSELEM - specifically big moving heads? We have often had some other intelligent lighting at our disposal but haven't used it much. I'm just trying to determine if they're worth bringing again. There isn't any dancing so, in some respects it's kinda pointless and some may view it as a distraction from the lasers. By the same token, it adds to the "club" feel and, the beam effects from the Vizi beam 2R's and 5R's often give a look similar to lasers but are of course eye safe. Some may want to try and play with controlling them via DMX. But, it's a lot less packing and set up if the feeling is they don't add much or more of a distraction. Thoughts?
    I'm quite open to the idea. Looks like we're going to have a few LED panels and some video projectors in there too. That said, Brad, I know how much stuff you have and what a bear it is to load and unload. While I appreciate the offer, I'll leave it up to you as to whether or not you want to bring them again.