Thread: Goldenstar 4 watts..

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Goldenstar 4 watts..

Any one have a good opinion on the Goldenstar 4 Watt RGB modules, 462 nm version, with beam shots in the far field? Will they fit on the 4 or 5 mm 506 Mirrors?
    Or am I better off with Lightspace?

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I'm trying to recall which is in which of my projectors but I think I've got OEM 4W with 462 running on the 506 with the 'Darth' mirror set. Bit of spill but basically all there.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Mike Muhler (mmuhler here on PL) had one of the 4 watt goldenstar modules at SELEM, with another one installed in his projector. It looked just fine to me, although the modulation on the drivers was really touchy below 25%. Took me a couple tries to get his palette tuned up using LD2000. But once we dialed it in, the images looked very nice. He was running standard DT-40 scanners and mirrors, and there was very little spill off the scanner mirrors. Overall I'd say it was a solid module for the money, but if you want to do advanced shading (especially on the low end) you may want to replace the diode drivers..

adam

Use a little higher power and black cardboard. Drops the overall brightness and lets you do more subtle detail on the low end provided you don't start a fire. Just thought of this instead. Beam splitter and a beam dump.

Red seems to spread out more than other colours so that must be worser than 1.2/1.3mrad. My friend got 2 6W Goldenstar lasers where i have seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by KoenD View Post
    Red seems to spread out more than other colours so that must be worser than 1.2/1.3mrad. My friend got 2 6W Goldenstar lasers where i have seen it.

We shall see, One of the four watts is on order for me and one of my friends just grabbed four of them, with two already installed on beamtables and two doing graphics.
    I'm viewing it as a kit, I'm sure there will be minor tweeks done to clean up the red if needed. I'm pretty exacting on my linearity, so I would not be surprised if I upgrade the drivers.
    The days when I can drag along medium frame ion are pretty much over because the venues have changed for me.. Besides, 506s with Darth mirrors and a Turbotrack II can't be all that bad.
    ~
    Hell just froze over, Christ is returning, its the end of the world as we know it, Mixedgas just went solid state for the small full color stuff...
    ~
    About a week or so from now I'll update the thread "As this thread is useless without Pictures". Thanks Guys!

Steve

Last edited by mixedgas; 08-22-2017 at 06:35.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post

We shall see, One of the four watts is on order for me and one of my friends just grabbed four of them, with two already installed on beamtables and two doing graphics.
    I'm viewing it as a kit, I'm sure there will be minor tweeks done to clean up the red if needed. I'm pretty exacting on my linearity, so I would not be surprised if I upgrade the drivers.
    The days when I can drag along medium frame ion are pretty much over because the venues have changed for me.. Besides, 506s with Darth mirrors and a Turbotrack II can't be all that bad.
    ~
    Hell just froze over, Christ is returning, its the end of the world as we know it, Mixedgas just went solid state for the small full color stuff...
    ~
    About a week or so from now I'll update the thread "As this thread is useless without Pictures". Thanks Guys!

Steve

Exept the diff, those are very great well build units. Im looking forward to your experience!

Three day delay just added, they called and said they have the lower power 462 in stock, but there is a wait to get the high power 462, a 400 mW difference. They offered to let me change to 445, or take the 400 mW loss in the blue if I needed this in a hurry. I'll wait the three days for the extra 400 mW... I actually like the call from the US Rep to tell me what is happening. That's good customer service in my world.

Steve

Which 462 are you going for Steve? The M462/2W/5.6mm or the 1.6W 9mm package (were these the binned versions of the NDB7875)?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Which 462 are you going for Steve? The M462/2W/5.6mm or the 1.6W 9mm package (were these the binned versions of the NDB7875)?
    They are calling it a 1.8 watt , vs. a 1.4 watt...
    So I'm assuming its the M462 I'm waiting on. I don't know... I did not ask for the diode part numbers. Usually I would, but Mike, Adam, John, and your vouching for this unit took my concerns away. I did ask if the reds were single mode...
    ~
    Steve