Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self folding spatial filter

Default Self folding spatial filter

Someone asked me about spatial filters and this idea came to me. What do you think?

pass beam through first lens, pass through spatial filter, put a mirror just behind the second mirror, bounce the beam back to a second mirror in front of the first mirror and out through the second lens. You could put the spatial filter where ever in the path that makes sense. Sounds like a pain to align but can't see why it would not work. The idea is to get more path length in the same space. You could even go sideways and back or such. First lens would be on an angle so you still use lens center.

fact is the more bounces the more loss and the more to go out of alignment but still cool to think about.

Just had a second idea. Wonder if you could use a single lens for the spatial filter. Pass beam through lens and then spatial filter bounce off mirror and back through first lens. If the lens dia is big compared to beam it might work. Also the advantage beside one lens is that any distortion would be exactly canceled since the lens is effectively an exact copy.

Anyone ever seen a lens cut in a square shape? Not cylinder but Plano type? TKe regular lens and cut to square to make mounting easier. Even in a thin slice of the center top to bottom. Looking for ways to move unused part of lens out of the way of the folded beam.

Yes, I've seen them in laserprinter optical assemblies, so someone makes them

Single lens spatial or cut lens section?

Sorry, cut lens sections

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Someone asked me about spatial filters and this idea came to me. What do you think?

pass beam through first lens, pass through spatial filter, put a mirror just behind the second mirror, bounce the beam back to a second mirror in front of the first mirror and out through the second lens. You could put the spatial filter where ever in the path that makes sense. Sounds like a pain to align but can't see why it would not work. The idea is to get more path length in the same space. You could even go sideways and back or such. First lens would be on an angle so you still use lens center.

fact is the more bounces the more loss and the more to go out of alignment but still cool to think about.
    Yeah! this is doable...I did similar setup on my 12W RGB Atenlaser modules. There's one bounce mirror before the aperture so this is a "L" shape SF. You can go with two mirrors of course.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 10.27.47.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	596.7 KB 
ID:	52785
    Jordi Luque

AtenLaser.com
    Barcelona

"Let there be light"

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Just had a second idea. Wonder if you could use a single lens for the spatial filter. Pass beam through lens and then spatial filter bounce off mirror and back through first lens. If the lens dia is big compared to beam it might work. Also the advantage beside one lens is that any distortion would be exactly canceled since the lens is effectively an exact copy.
    mmmm I think not...but sorry, maybe I don't follow..could U upload a drawing for a better understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by jors View Post
    Yeah! this is doable...I did similar setup on my 12W RGB Atenlaser modules. There's one bounce mirror before the aperture so this is a "L" shape SF. You can go with two mirrors of course.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 10.27.47.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	596.7 KB 
ID:	52785
    That module is beautiful, Jors!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

[QUOTE=dkumpula;339523]That module is beautiful, Jors!
    Many thanks david!!! ......
    Jordi Luque

AtenLaser.com
    Barcelona

"Let there be light"