Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a cheap laser for my man cave...

Default Looking for a cheap laser for my man cave...

Hi forum,
    An old man here (over 40) who still DJ's with vinyl like a teenager, recently built a man-cave for the turntables with a gaming station for when my friends come over, Just to keep the wife happy as she hates my music!
    I'd like to get a cheap laser to add to the ambience, can anyone recommend a cheap half-decent laser for a room essentially 20ft x 25ft, I saw the ES100G Laserworld which looked pretty good for the price, but upon further research I ended up here, due to rather scathing reviews (that's cool).
    The cheaper the better, I am already in the dog-house due to building my man-cave (i7 Skylake media PC, dual 40" monitors, rack-mounted audio equipment, furniture, shelving for my 1210's & 12"'s and so on)
    I doubt I could convince my wife a £300+ laser is a required purchase.

Any advice would be great, I used to own a really poor pseudo light system 20 years ago, it was essentially a light beam projected onto a mirror which vibrated with the audio input (via 3.5mm cable) to produce squiggly patterns, hardly a laser but looked pretty cool nonetheless with smoke.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

You used pound in your budget price which leads me to think you're in the UK. Personally, for your set up, I would stick with something simple such as a dj type laser from the likes of Chauvet, American DJ, X-Static, perhaps X-Laser or something along those lines. I would also consider something from Laserking like an LK-PD2 or 3. It has a built in effect wheel that will give you some cool versatility and much more interest to your ambiance. These will all tend to be lower power and utilize things like burst gratings or fat beams to help make them a little more safe for a novice to use.
    The biggest lesson I can teach you is that lasers are NOT a cheap endeavor. It's very much a case of, "you get what you pay for". And... you need more than just the projector to really do much more than what I have mentioned above. Actually the Laserking's may even be your best bang for the buck. Boats, women, drugs, pilots license - all better, cheaper uses for your money than lasers.
    If people are really interested in jumping into the "hobby" and good with electronics, metal working, optics, engineering, software and general nerdery, geekery, like many of the members here, then sure, you can cut down on the price of entry to this insanity but, to want to actually "do" stuff with a laser in your environment is going to require an investment of probably $1000 or better since not only do you need the laser, you'll need a method of controlling it, cables, a fog/haze machine, etc. You're already in the dog house so, maybe another $1000 either gives you a whole lot more free time or, a little more grief. But 300 pounds in THIS hobby merely pays for shipping. Not trying to discourage you (well... maybe a little) but, just giving you fair warning that what you want to embark on is *real* tough to do cheap.
    PM Sent...

Hi Bradfo69,
    Firstly thank you for taking the time to reply to a total laser 'novice' and I really appreciate your honesty in letting me know my budget will not even cover shipping That made me chuckle.
    I understand a budget of £300 is peanuts, and yes you are correct in your assumption, I am UK-based, I guess I thought it may be enough to get a basic laser to add to the wow-factor for the man-cave.
    I have no interest in running DMX, a multiple lighting set-up or any software to actually manipulate the laser, so I will check-out your recommendations and I may simply get some basic lighting (moving head, scanner or similar) and ditch the laser idea for now.

Thanks once again

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Definitely take a look at the Laserking LK-series. Under $500 delivered gets you a pretty cool little unit, with lumia effects, burst grating, a lenticular lens. I pulled mine out the other night (an original LK-PD1) after sitting for a few years and just laid on the living room floor with it on my stomach pointing up at the ceiling and in even in auto mode, you can get lost for 20 minutes just watching it do it's thing. http://www.laserking.com.hk/newproducts.asp
    PM Sent...

Under the budget constraints, I'd have to agree with Brad's recommendation. I have an LK-PD2 and an LK-PD3, both heavily upgraded, but even as it comes, it is an acceptable starter-projector for use with lumia, beams and simple graphics. Just make sure it is aimed well above anyone's eyes as this and nearly every projector inherently dangerous to your eyes and flammable furnishings when you don't know what you are doing and lack adequate safety controls. I'd read a lot about laser safety before using it and ask lots of questions. You can start with auto-mode with sound and add DMX or better yet a proper ILDA controller with another investment of $300+. (You need both DMX control and ILDA control to make your own lumia.)

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Spectrum 40 LD for sure
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    Spectrum 40 LD for sure
    with saturns?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Unless this damn hurricane blows them all away
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Unless this damn hurricane blows them all away
    you could send me a couple sets for safe keeping.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Definitely take a look at the Laserking LK-series. Under $500 delivered gets you a pretty cool little unit, with lumia effects, burst grating, a lenticular lens. I pulled mine out the other night (an original LK-PD1) after sitting for a few years and just laid on the living room floor with it on my stomach pointing up at the ceiling and in even in auto mode, you can get lost for 20 minutes just watching it do it's thing. http://www.laserking.com.hk/newproducts.asp
    Thanks again Bradfo69, I will certainly check it out, thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Under the budget constraints, I'd have to agree with Brad's recommendation. I have an LK-PD2 and an LK-PD3, both heavily upgraded, but even as it comes, it is an acceptable starter-projector for use with lumia, beams and simple graphics. Just make sure it is aimed well above anyone's eyes as this and nearly every projector inherently dangerous to your eyes and flammable furnishings when you don't know what you are doing and lack adequate safety controls. I'd read a lot about laser safety before using it and ask lots of questions. You can start with auto-mode with sound and add DMX or better yet a proper ILDA controller with another investment of $300+. (You need both DMX control and ILDA control to make your own lumia.)

-David
    Thank you David, especially the information regarding safety, it was something I had not even considered and I am very thankful for your input.

Spectrum 40 LD for sure
    Maybe I should remortgage the house and go with a KVANT Maxim OPSL G20