Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Viasho lasers ?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

There are whole threads dedicated to the philosophy's of how to price shows. Lots of opinions, lots of things to think about. The problem is you have a professional industry that charges professional prices with professional equipment that's been slowly being eroded away by the steadily lowering cost of admission into this industry. Think about it... you're looking at trying to buy 2 - 3 watt projectors for $2400. Just a couple years ago, I spent nearly $9,000 to buy ONE. And going back further, a lasershow required a fragile, dangerous, temperamental hulking piece of "water and electricity gobbling" mystery that cost tens of thousands of dollars or more. The "art" has been watered down to where people are doing what they "call" a lasershow for $50, free beer and a slice of pizza. I'm guilty. You're guilty. A lot of others are guilty. Sometimes it's an issue of what the market will bear and then it becomes a hard decision of whether you want to do it or not. I know there are companies that wouldn't touch some of the things I have done for less than several thousand dollars but... if I were to have told the client that much, they would have said, well... it would be cool to have but... no thanks. I'm a bit of a unique case though in that I manage a venue and lasers/lighting are an simply an upsell to the sweet 16's, weddings, proms and such I'm already hosting. Someone spending $4000 on the food, facility, DJ, and decorations for their kids sweet 16, is not going to say yes to lasers for $6,000 for a few songs. But they may very well pay $700 if they want it bad enough and, for me, all the gear is right here and somewhat set up and ready to go all the time. I don't have to truck it to unfamiliar locations and pay a crew and so forth.
    Sometimes you also have to do it for the learning experience. I periodically do lasers for a local Pink Floyd tribute band in my area. It's a 10 piece group and I've become friends with them. What should the charge be to supply a couple of say, 3 watt green lasers for a few songs throughout a set if the band is making $6,000 for the gig? There are companies out there that would say, "Oh, you have to charge at least $3,000." Well... that's not in their budget but... if I... as someone who is still interested in learning and growing about doing unique gigs, rather than just sweet 16's in my own venue, I may have to make a concession and charge what they can afford and I can live with, to gain the experience. To... "add it to the resume". I have a festival tomorrow at the beach with several tribute bands from 2-10pm and they are the headliner with a 90 minute set from 8:30-10. But I'll have to be there around 9 in the morning for rigging and since I'm also running their videos on a circle scrim since our regular guy is doing a show at Red Rocks this weekend. I should be charging them a lot more than I am but, I'm also going to get to spend the day - not a work - at the beach, looking at eye candy, listening to a bunch of bands, free food and beverage, expenses covered and and making a few hundred more than I would being at work at my regular job. It's also possible when I get there that I may deem lasers not possible because of wind conditions or lack of termination points and such but, they know safety is my call and I get paid regardless since I'm also running the video server. If I had told them $3,000 I'd never have gotten the learning experience to handling the challenges that may be thrown my way. I'm also getting some training on a GrandMA so there is value in that (to me) as well. But I realize all of this would horrify a pro company and look at it as helping to devalue the industry and yes, I understand and appreciate that and don't do it all the time.
    So... what to charge can be a tough thing to negotiate. Read this thread: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ghlight=charge
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 09-15-2017 at 08:44.
    PM Sent...

What is beam divergence exactly ? Is 1.2 to 1.5 divergence is ok for a laser ?

The light emitted by a laser is confined to a rather narrow cone. But, when the beam propagates outward, it slowly diverges or fans out. The goal is to have a beam stay tight for as far as possible since, lets face it, lasers look best from further away if you're viewing the beams. 1.2 is probably close to the worst most would consider acceptable for beams. 1.5 and you're really starting to spread out. Think about it... if you take a fixed amount of energy and keep it confined to a narrow space, it's going to look better and brighter. If you allow that same energy to spread out and get "watered down", it's going to look more dim and fuzzy. For graphics and abstracts you're basically painting a picture with a laser. So, you want even less divergence so your picture looks like it was drawn with a pencil as opposed to a hunk of sidewalk chalk.
    Really good lasers have optics that keep that beam focused very tightly for a long distance - that's your goal. A general audience member at a dance party may not notice a difference between a laser with 1.1 mR versus 1.4mR of divergence but, as you spend time around this silliness, YOU will. As will other laser people and, the more you notice it, the more you'll come to appreciate that you want a really tight beam.
    PM Sent...

The unit im looking is. Between 3.5 mm and 2.8 mm diameter and between 1.2 and 1.3 mrad.

That's basically some pretty typical numbers for an average garden variety projector. Not stellar but certainly not bad.
    PM Sent...

The thing is actualy a dont have 3000 to 4000$ Canadian. For a kvant ou and evil laser .. Im looking for midrange but good quality. The only one i found on laser world matching is the Tarm two but i want little bit more than 2.5w because i going to do show outdoors

You do generally need more power for outside shows to be effective. With your budget, the best bang for your buck is going to be one or two single green lasers. That may very well be cheaper than getting RGB. And a 5 watt green is well within your budget and afford an incredible wow factor. Green is much more visible to the human eye and you need much less green in terms of power to give a good effect. For outdoor use, personally (and this is just me) I'd consider around 6-8 watts as being a minimum for RGB. Granted, that all depends on the size of the show. Outdoor shows are also going to require a higher investment in fog/haze machines than doing things indoors since you will likely need several hazers/foggers.
    (Just more food for thought.)
    PM Sent...

this summer i done 2 show outdoors with my 1.5 Rgb unit and i manage to have some "good" results as u can see on the pictures below.But if i had Rent a better smoke machine than my 1300w hahah i will certainly have better results. Anyways i dont do bigger than 600-800 inside and 1200 people outside. so should i consider getting a 6w unit anyways ?? its 750 $ more than the 3W.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18839220_2120843114809845_5158333089355437784_n.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	52862Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laser Timeless 1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	52863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Timeless laser 2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	52864

Nice pics. Yes, you did fair pretty well.
    Hey... opinions are like assholes. We all have one. I'm just sort of voicing mine out loud. You may very well be fine with a couple 3 watt RGB's. One of the things I have discovered is, that at close range, My 3 watt RGB's aren't that much less bright that my 12 watt RGB's. Where the 12 watt RGB's eat the 3 watts lunch is when it comes to long distances and.. competing with other lighting. But, the 3 watt greens I have blow everything out of the water in terms of brightness. And they were comparatively cheaper than most other full color projectors.
    PM Sent...

TY Brad......appreciate your sharing. hak
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-