Thread: Art style and making shows more interesting

Default Art style and making shows more interesting

So hardware is pretty sorted these days. People seem in love with beams and graphics are less popular. I thought I'd try starting a thread about the art rather than the hardware.

One thing inherent in shows is that the point of focus by by virtue of the device is that the images tend to come from a central point. This gets to be boring after a while but with a single projector I see no way around it for beams unless you do bounce mirrors, tables or fibers.

In graphics shows we have the opportunity to do a lot of standard art effects to help this. For example I think we could do some interesting work by using vanishing points, perspective, and shading.

i want to play with shading more. With diodes you have plenty of power but that isn't the point. You have a real opportunity to do subtle diode control for interesting non saturated effects. We don't have to blow away the eyeballs on every scene. Subtle color use and brightness doesn't require faster scanners or anything else. It is an unexplored option.

Last what ever happend to Pangolin's attempt at defocusing to cover areas and line thinckness. With mems and fast servos the opportunity to do this kind of work really comes to blur the line between graphics and Lumia.

thoughts...

It may be worth looking through the known optical illusions, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_optical_illusions as a source of inspiration, and see if any are applicable to show situations, its a bit of a rabbit hole.

Also some interesting strobe effects can be achieved.

I find the things that really impress me are those that sync really nicely with audio, where the visual flow matches sound. What i imagine synesthesia looks like. Having motion of beams & sheets or blocks of light of light that work within 4-4 beat structure.

I think its easy to drown the the visual field in laser rain, I believe less is more ( of course there are times when want to just over whelm) but if 90% of show is this way it looses its impact.

It's like a good ballet a little soft a little loud. A little minor 9th a little 2nd.

The first step in making art is to stand up and declare that you are an Artist. The second step is to do something you consider great. The third step is finding someone who likes it. The third step is absolute.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

I've seen some dazzle shows that flash blind you. It can be effective to kill night vision and increase apparent contrast but it hurts my eyes. I use to like the after images when I only had an argon. It gave the illusion of full color.

I've never tested it, but it occurred to me a couple of years ago that the 450nm blue LED's in a planetarium's cove lights might kill night vision without having to piss off the audience with strobes etc.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Might be a reason they are used. No idea. But yea strobe effects are extreme. I wonder if they could be used but you control the brightness more so they are there but less intesnse. That's one of my points. It's time to try subtle effects rather than on or off. 8 bit color has to go. I wAnt at least 10 bit. 1000 shades is plenty. Not sure you can see the change. Heck even 512 would be a start. 24 bit is a waste in laser. I want more control on the low end of the scale in really dim but delicate color.