Thread: Galvos not moving on Shinp laser

Default Galvos not moving on Shinp laser

I recently picked up a Shinp laser on eBay, it worked fine but today the galvos are not moving, the lasers are lit. I've had a peek inside and on the galvo amp board one of the three LED's isn't lit, I can't see anything obvious and the laser worked fine when I switched if off last, I haven't moved it or knocked it since.

Any ideas as to why the galvos would not be working?

Blown fuse, bad connection, bad power supply (are the mirrors kicked to one side?), bad ground, or no signal - this isn't rocket science - it's trouble shooting - think about what it might be & check that thing... rinse & repeat
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

I've checked everything obvious, there isn't a fuse as far as I can see, I've checked all connectors and on the Shinp they are glued in, mirrors don't move at all. I was reading another post about a similar issue and someone mentioned the regulator on the amp board, are those something that often fails?

There is only one amp for both galvos.

Hi Simon. First, welcome! We have many laserists from the UK here as well as nearly everywhere else on Earth here on PL.

Regarding your question, I'm sorry your laser purchase appears to be a bust. To be honest, it would be hard to debug the thing unless you had a decent amount of experience with lasers or had a background in electrical engineering or similar tinkering.

Sadly, I would consider the Shinp brand of devices disposable unless it is something obvious, which doesn't appear to be your case. The sales range for their products appears to beUS$90-$300. If you want something that lasts longer and performs better, we have lots of opinions / guidance in that department.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Consider it an rgb module and get new scanners. Rebuild into something good. If you buy a second one it will likely do the same. Spend the money in a new set of scanners. It's not hard to do and you might have fun learning as you go. Find some local to you to help. And search laser safety before you start. You don't get new eyes.

First understand the ilda connector do you can find the x an y signal connectors. Next remove the scanners and driver boards. If they also feed the diodes just remove the scanners and leave the board. Next find a power supply for you new scanners that fits your case or. Leave them external. Messy but easier. Now install your new scanners and hook the xy lines to the drivers. Check your wiring and make sure yo common the ground. Test and enjoy. There more but that hives the basic process. Rip and replace. Common the ground. Align.

If both scanners are misbehaving it's almost certainly a common cause. The power to the scanners is a good bet. Not all fuses look like fuses Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pico fuse.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.8 KB 
ID:	52953.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Those got me on my old 6800 scanners back in the day.