Thread: Brazing welding alum

Default Brazing welding alum

I was thinking it should be possible to work alum with an IR laser bar by putting a laser cutter xy in a bag of argon. Does this sound feasible? Just want to make aluminum boxes. I’m thinking of making an xy plotter and mounting a 50w IR bar. Really unsure on wavelength power and focusing.

... a good methode to get a round spot out of a bar diode is to place fibers on every emitter and bundle them - here a coherent 25W-diode with a bundled "emitter-diameter" of around 0,7mm:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25W-Coherent.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	340.1 KB 
ID:	53335

But the smaller single-module 9Watt-diode at the bottom, with an "emitter-diameter" of only 0,1mm, has a much better focussing, so higher energy density too!

Here another 25Watt-diode with three single emitters, knife-edge-kombined, with the same 0,1mm-fiber:

Name:	25W-Diode.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	303.4 KB 
ID:	53336

This types with 0.1mm-fiber can be found with output-powers of up to 150 Watts!

---
    Look here, where I'm posting some of my "diode-worx" - http://photonlexicon.com/forums/show...Watt-IR-diodes

I'm actually testing with a 30Watt-diode, but have enough of them, to combine with more than 1kW of averaged power, if in need for "serious laser power"

Viktor

So 9 watts of what wavelength will let me weld alum? I had thought to need much more power. This is 3-5mm stuff

... no, 9Watts won't be enough

Made some tests with solder paste on 0.2mm brass sheets - here it starts at roughly 15Watts with my 975nm-diodes ... and burns away the pads on PCB's, if excessive heated!

For 5mm aluminium i'll expect minimum power of above 60 Watts on a spot of 0.5mm diameter to start with, and maybe above 100 Watts CW to get it fused reliable.

For this was may remark about the 150Watt-diodes with an attached 105µm fiber meant.

---
    You can sum up the power of several diodes, like in my "6x 445nm head" - but replace the blue diodes by the NIR-diodes focussing heads:

Name:	6xKopf1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	53337

Viktor

... this was meant for brazing! - for welding I'll expect more like 200-300 Watts min CW-power ...

I think I’ll move on. That’s way to much work and way to dangerous power to mess with. I’ll find premade boxes and buy them.