Thread: off-the-shelf IR mirror and IR pass filter?

Default off-the-shelf IR mirror and IR pass filter?

Theres got to be some computer parts or off-the-shelf products which use transparent films which can act as an IR mirror and also some filters that block visible wavelength and let IR and near-IR pass.
    Playing around with IR cameras.
    Would prefer films over glass as those are easier to cut and shape. Gimme ideas.

There's a maker space here in St. Love where one of the guys built a CO2 laser cutter. He cut his mirrors out of the disks from old hard drives.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

I would not have thought of that.

Sorry didnt specify, IR mirror needs to reflect IR, pass visible spectrum, so to naked eye it will look transparent. HDD disk will reflect everything.

Ahhhh.. there is a coating for windows that reflects ir to keep heat out of homes. It is transparent. Look for this kind of window and cut a piece out or find samples. I’ll look on web to see if I find it. I had thought to do it as a reversible window so it keeps heat in in the winter and out in summer.

Looks to be called low e glass. Lowe’s and other big box stores sells it and a film you can apply.

Nice, would prefer the film over a coating as needs to be flexible for some of the projects.
    I know there are films for car mirrors but the best specs are 86% visible light transmission and 90% IR rejection (don't knos if rejecton amounts to reflection) But those are also for protection from shattered glass. May be there are better options for other use cases.