Thread: Direct Laser Control with Processing?

Default Direct Laser Control with Processing?

Hi, I'm new to all of this and looking to get started.

Is there a way to have direct control over a laser projector with Processing?

I'd like to be able to render bitmap image and project either the black pixels or white pixels with Processing.

For example, I need to be able to use a Bitmap image like this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example Bitmap.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	255.4 KB 
ID:	53379
    and project a laser dot at every single black pixel for a specific amount of time, at actual size and resolution(7"x10" @ 300ppi). Is this possible?

The laser doesn't need to accurately represent the image in real time. I want to do this to expose a photopolymer emulsion, for use in the screen printing industry (similar to what has been done in 3D printing).
    Last edited by Xeil; 12-23-2017 at 07:51.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Using an Etherdream or an IDN device, this is possible in theory. They accept incoming frames over some network protocol. I haven't done this yet so can't help much with technical details.

What resolution is the image?

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Using an Etherdream or an IDN device, this is possible in theory. They accept incoming frames over some network protocol. I haven't done this yet so can't help much with technical details.

What resolution is the image?
    I was looking into etherdream as well, I'll guess I'll have to look into the documentation.

The image resolution 300 pixels per inch. Some images may go as high as 1200 ppi though.

I've noticed that most systems tend to use a closer laser (to allow for higher pixel densities,?) and use linear actuators to move the projector(akin to an inkjet printer). I wasn't sure if this was the reason. I guess I just can't imagine achieving 300-1200 ppi resolution from 6 feet away, not even accounting for things like beam diameter and UV light transmittance from that distance.

By the way I am familiar with your work! One of your post replies happens to be the most prominent Google search results when I was Googling for solutions related to this.

Short answer: Yes
    Longer: Raster is more linear using a polygon mirror for one axis, and moving the material for the other axis. The reason laser markers often use galvos is greater processing speed when you don't have to address each pixel.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso