Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: newb alert. help me into this laser code writin' stuff please...

Alright well I continue to code ma lazerrrr...

I thought maybe I needed a Sleep() after the CloseDevice(dac) and Close() to give it time to tell the DAC to shut down nice n clean.
    I put in the Sleep()s and that seemed to help, but still there's a problem during shutdown.
    I also noticed the LEDs on the ILDA cable side of it were both dark
    That doesn't sound good.

So I gave Jacob(j4cbo) my repro code stripped down and the log file I found that the .DLL creates.

I also noticed that the name (ip address in hex) of the DAC has extra f digits in it

This does not seem like super dead accurate reliable firmware to meee...

But I did make progress drawing a blue rectangle starting small in the center and expanding to the full square.
    I can dig THAT. Had to drop to 1000 pps to give the scanner time to get there without any pixel tuning.

Hopefully tomorrow I can tune color and make a device list config where i give the name to make SURE
    I've got the right DAC, configure color tuning, optionally flip x and y coords, limit the coord system, etc.

Progress is slow. But, eh, that's ok. It's fun

...Steve

I also noticed that the name (ip address in hex) of the DAC has extra f digits in it
    What do you mean by "f" digits? Like 0B128C9A2D10FFFFFF?

yeah I'm sure you're familiar with hexidecimal if you did 6502 programming

f as a 15.

One of the bytes in my DAC's IP (or whatever) is 0F.
    Well, in the printf that makes the "name" of the DAC, it's written as 0FFFFFFF instead of 0F :/

ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenhazel View Post
    yeah I'm sure you're familiar with hexidecimal if you did 6502 programming

f as a 15.

One of the bytes in my DAC's IP (or whatever) is 0F.
    Well, in the printf that makes the "name" of the DAC, it's written as 0FFFFFFF instead of 0F :/

ah well.
    Yeah, sure...and I was a network engineer after that. The IP address in hex should be 4 octets which 0F.FF.FF.FF is, or 15.255.255.255. (which is a weird IP address, but a valid one.) So is the "name" meant to be the IP address of the Etherdream?

Found a great C++ tutorial site on the web, slowly but surely coming up to speed. My question to you is: how to you "open/close" DLL libs for use in program lines?

Oh, you said ONE of the bytes was 0F which when printed changed to 0FFFFFFF, sorry, didn't read carefully enough.

I just bought an Etherdream and have been working on getting it into my software, too. I pretty much gutted the DLL code that was posted on GitHub and have been rewriting it for my scenario. It's working now but I want to make it more robust. There is an unwanted delay because of how device detection works that I want to iron out. I wish the Etherdream would respond to a broadcast instead of everything else waiting for periodic broadcasts from the Etherdream. I'll probably make it so that I immediately look for the Etherdream as soon as the application starts. I have seen some glitches where it hangs when the network traffic is slow. I need to fix that, too, if I can within my code. Otherwise, it's working fine in my software. Output quality looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    No problem. Going over this stuff again helps me as well. I see you've been at this a while!

I finally got MSVS 2015 installed !! (already had 2017 when I first loaded the EtherDream project files and it barked at me about not having the 2015 stuff). Opened the Etherdream.vcxproj file and now I can see what you've been referencing, Steve. And oh yeah, #Include files, that rings a bell.
    What was it complaining about? Probably the compiler version. I changed it to 141 without XP support in my 2017 environment and it compiled. But, it didn't really matter because I am rewriting a driver to be part of my EXE.

Well, Ok John if that's what ya wanna do Sounds like no fun to me, just to save a second at startup.
    But, you know, we all got our "ways" - go for it

I'd hoooope that Jacob could get all the bugs out of EtherDream.dll as that's in his best interest.
    Developers whining about YOUR HARDWARE's main API is not a good thing for your company...

Hey Mr 1977, what's your real name? I'll email ya my code (when I get home) if ya like. There's not much to it.
    I do use my own runtime library tho for dealing with strings (8 bit unicode not the dumb windows unicode) and windows api and stuff.
    Not sure I can share THAT whole dang thing with ya.
    But you should be able to take what i got and adapt it pretty quick.

...Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stephenhazel View Post
    Well, Ok John if that's what ya wanna do Sounds like no fun to me, just to save a second at startup.
    But, you know, we all got our "ways" - go for it
    It's fun to me. I have been doing this sort of thing for years.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    What was it complaining about? Probably the compiler version. I changed it to 141 without XP support in my 2017 environment and it compiled. But, it didn't really matter because I am rewriting a driver to be part of my EXE.
    Don't recall exactly, John, but it had to do with the 2015 library of "stuff". When I installed 2017 I only selected basics and Windows related app dev stuff, so the Etherdream .cpp loaded fine and I could browse the code. Because 2017 barked about not having the 2015 something or another when the .cpp file loaded, I also installed the 2015 version and all was good with it.