Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Missing Drones

That's scary to think that if your fpv camera suddenly stopped working while the drone was too far away and you weren't paying much attention to where it was exactly. It's weird though but every quadcopter I purchased had a shut off feature when out of range instead of them flying off in one direction but guess not all of them have that.

Quote Originally Posted by Photonbeam View Post
    I know very little about drones but I have been using a GPS dog collar. The circuit including battery is not much bigger than a pack of gum and can last a week on standby. Don't know how much weight a drone can carry but it might be cheap insurance for an expensive toy. They cost about $35. If your drone flies away, wake up the GPS and see its location within 3 meters (unless it is underwater).
    Good idea... to put on my kids!

Most of the over $500 Drones have GPS installed for
    position stability. This also allows the Drone to Return
    To Home if failsafe is setup correctly.
    Failsafe can be initiated by a switch on the Transmitter
    or a loss of signal from the transmitter.

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

It would be cool if drones were like homing pigeons and flew home if stolen.

You can buy drones on Aliexpress for as low as $6. Why people learning to fly don't start with these is beyond me.....

Also as Laserbee says, on the more expensive side, many drones are now fitted with a return to base function whereby the GPS receiver traces and remembers it's starting point and route and will return to base if the signal is lost or the battery runs low, thus preventing loss in all but the event of catastrophic failure ie. a frame or rotor collapse (and probably not even the latter on drones with 6 or 8 arms).

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    You can buy drones on Aliexpress for as low as $6. Why people learning to fly don't start with these is beyond me.....
    That's what I tell anyone who wants to get into the hobby. Start out cheap and don't worry about banging them up. Even though they're toy grade they are surprisingly tough and fly really good.