Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviews of restored numbers

Default Reviews of restored numbers

I noticed that one of the Echoes scraps I posted recently picked up a curio: a "Suggested" by Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon 50th Anniversary Animated Video Competition. Perhaps it would only be polite during the two months left before contest closing to see what, if anything, can be done to produce something interesting from that famous show on the 6b emulator.

I'm beginning with the second half from Money on. As a place to begin an offer of discussion, I'll take any color you like. I don't see much there. The XYI provides a slowly rotating triangle that zooms up repeatedly on the beat, cycling something like blue yellow green blue yellow green etc. The part where Gilmour's guitar talks with itself in stereo has no beams enabled. Any thoughts or memories about what would have been going on?

DSOTM was after my time, but the RGBi scanners were also after it's time, so somebody added that as an after thought. Darryl Davis and Scott Anderson were the original choreographers, I'll see if I can dig up email addresses...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Video here shows the current state of money. I edited out all the neat little cartoons. The image sources called for in the data can be identified as follows:

star = fixed cycloid
    square = variable cycloid
    circle = spiral or invert spiral
    line = spiral or invert spiral held flat using spiral reset and diamond
    triangle audio mod briefly present
    audio mod cycloid briefly present
    no Danube or eights in data

Some great words now exist to resolve with archeological certainty how the fixed rotational offset interval was switched. I should have seen I had it right the first time.

There is what's probably a walkout number, music being Gilmour's what do you want from me, except the beam enables have to be overridden to see the magnificent walk out logo and a few outtakes of the show graphics. Anyway, the logo only looks right when 0,90,180,270 rotation is used so there's confidence.

video here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eNDKlAAW-M

You might want to kick over the symmetry on the triangle generator for a money ratio, or not. I suspect some of the point reveals may have had variable cycloids summed in - yellow on the leverlite switches. You might play the joystick enables too, or not.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Today I loaded the 24 track moon show and got the 4 XYI channels to play. Wow. It answers all the questions about what was supposed to be going on in the other versions. There is lots of recorded performance using the CYGN-A, CYGN-B, dogloids, spirals, etc. What a masterpiece. I'm guessing the laserist for this show would mainly play colormod, faders, and lumia.

There appears to be some XY-RGB content in this and a couple of other shows as well. That should get looked into soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24_track_show_3.jpg  

24_track_show_2.jpg  

24_track_show_1.jpg  

I really enjoy your posts! You're really becoming the definitive historian of all things Laserium...

It is my humble office to report Great Words. The roto percussion solo beginning time, it was decided by a director with the authority to do so, needed an exact drum cover played by a symphony quality drummer. Such an individual came to the studios and played the solo, which ended up as timing information which definitely exists on the 4 track moon version. At some point, the 352 beam enable bits were superseded by a midi track. But the midi track could not perfectly preserve the enable timing present in the 352 data. This was an unfortunate source of show incompatibility.

I don't think that historical drum timing segment exists in any of the ADAT versions, though there's still a few tracks of that content I haven't reviewed yet. There may be an opportunity to reunite a classic segment from an older show that didn't appear in later versions due to system changes.

I'm remembering a friend of Sam's named Ron something I think - a talented guy - he had some gold records as I recall...

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    You might want to kick over the symmetry on the triangle generator for a money ratio, or not. I suspect some of the point reveals may have had variable cycloids summed in - yellow on the leverlite switches. You might play the joystick enables too, or not.
    Here is the intro to time. Featured in the segment is the ability to button between the old 1/4" reel show built up from 352, and the XYI component of the 24 track ADAT show.

It is of much help to me to see in this collection of moon shows what is really supposed to be happening in general with point reveals, of which there many. Interestingly, it's a lot of dog. Dynamic offsets and dogloids. Which makes sense, and improves the odds of putting the shows back together accurately.

https://youtu.be/G8IX5xbLphk

Scouring the 24 track moon show for anything else useful. The first five tracks are I don't know what. Two identical signals with opposite polarities, and three more tracks that look similar to the intensity tracks. Not the RGB graphics I thought it was.

Then there is tracks 15 and 16. See video. These are interesting signals, especially the blue one. It appears at various times throughout the show, but the red one is a sinusoid that changes frequency and amplitude, and only appears in any colour you like.

It would be excellent if the blue signal turned out to be colormod.

video of graph of signals:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgbftkqpCoo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TracksMoonAll.jpg  

TracksMoonMystery.jpg  

Last edited by Greg; 11-07-2023 at 21:34.