Thread: ECDL setup with custom controller

Default ECDL setup with custom controller

In this multi post series, I'll describe step by step series how I built by ECDL setup. Let's start with physical construction.

Design

In this build, I'll use diffraction grating to reduce the bandwidth. The grating will be operating in Littrov configuration. In this case, it's beneficial to choose a grating that has the lowest grove count while providing only single diffraction order to not lose power unnecessarily. Rearranging some equations, we find that 2nd order diffraction in grating working in Littrov mode happens at the angle arcsin(3/2*lambda*grove density). If this arcsin doesn't exist, because argument is bigger than one, then grating doesn't have higher orders. For 520 nm this critical grove density is around 1300/mm. On the other hand, we would like the grating to have the lowest possible grove density for highest dispersion and easier single mode operation. My supplier stocks only 1200 and 1800 groves/mm gratings, not 1300. And while 1200 would provide some loss in higher order diffraction it's hard to judge which one will have higher efficiency, while 1200 provides higher dispersion. For testing, I decided to order both.

Grating bandwidth

Laser diode facet size is roughly 1 μm x 5 μm and the collimator used has an effective focal length of 3mm. This means that for the feedback power to reduce by half the returned beam has to move by 0.5 μm or 2.5 μm, depending on the axis. This implies that change of angle of returning beam by just 9.5 or 47.7 milidegrees is enough to reduce feedback by half. For 1200 groves / mm grating used in this project it gives 3dB bandwidth of just 0.27nm or 1.38nm respectively.

External cavity mode spacing

When cavity round trip distance is 100 mm, then around 2e5 wave nodes fit in the resonator. Then mode spacing is 520 nm/2e5 or around 2.6 pm, much tighter than grating bandwidth. Clearly, many modes of external resonator can fit in gratings bandwidth. Fortunately, there's also an internal cavity that provides selectivity. Because the external cavity's length is defined by aluminum bracket holding parts together, it's expected to change by around 0.0023%/K. While it doesn't seem like much, it gives almost full mode hop for 1K of temperature change.

Internal cavity mode spacing

A laser diode's structure is usually a few hundred um long. For simplicity, let's assume it's 500 um long and that index of refraction is 3.5, giving 7630 wave nodes inside the resonator for a mode spacing of 77.3 pm. Overlapping both cavities and grating bandwidth creates higher selectivity filter (see picture), additionally external cavity stabilizes small drifts due to thermal changes of internal cavity. It should be noted that because of big internal cavity mode spacing, small changes to temperature or injection current will hop external cavity modes one by one retuning the system. It's therefore critical to stabilize diode temperature and current. How precisely should temperature be stabilized depends on what semiconductor is used. For eg. red laser diodes, made from AlInGaP are very sensitive to temperature, drifting 120 pm / K while free running. To maintain single external cavity mode, temperature has to be regulated to with-in 21.7 mK. For GaN diodes the requirements aren't nearly as strict.
    Physical construction

Let's look from outside to inside. The entire system is placed on big slab of aluminum working as sturdy base and heatsink. On that there's Peltier module mounted, on which rests an inner baseplate. The inner baseplate holds the entire optical path. On one right there's Newport mount to which diffraction grating will be glued, on the other end there's another Peltier module, hosting brass laser diode + collimator mount. To protect the optics from dust and air currents, everything will be covered with 3d printed plastic cover with glass window positioned at brewster angle or AR coated window, depending on what will be easier to source.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ECDL_adnotations.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	61024

And as always more details are on my blog: https://sduc6.blogspot.com/2024/03/e...er-part-1.html

wishing you luck. That’s some right tolerances you need. Looking forward to some run measurements.

QUOTE=atomd;364373]In this multi post series, I'll describe step by step series how I built by ECDL setup. Let's start with physical construction.

Design

In this build, I'll use diffraction grating to reduce the bandwidth. The grating will be operating in Littrov configuration. In this case, it's beneficial to choose a grating that has the lowest grove count while providing only single diffraction order to not lose power unnecessarily. Rearranging some equations, we find that 2nd order diffraction in grating working in Littrov mode happens at the angle arcsin(3/2*lambda*grove density). If this arcsin doesn't exist, because argument is bigger than one, then grating doesn't have higher orders. For 520 nm this critical grove density is around 1300/mm. On the other hand, we would like the grating to have the lowest possible grove density for highest dispersion and easier single mode operation. My supplier stocks only 1200 and 1800 groves/mm gratings, not 1300. And while 1200 would provide some loss in higher order diffraction it's hard to judge which one will have higher efficiency, while 1200 provides higher dispersion. For testing, I decided to order both.

Grating bandwidth

Laser diode facet size is roughly 1 μm x 5 μm and the collimator used has an effective focal length of 3mm. This means that for the feedback power to reduce by half the returned beam has to move by 0.5 μm or 2.5 μm, depending on the axis. This implies that change of angle of returning beam by just 9.5 or 47.7 milidegrees is enough to reduce feedback by half. For 1200 groves / mm grating used in this project it gives 3dB bandwidth of just 0.27nm or 1.38nm respectively.

External cavity mode spacing

When cavity round trip distance is 100 mm, then around 2e5 wave nodes fit in the resonator. Then mode spacing is 520 nm/2e5 or around 2.6 pm, much tighter than grating bandwidth. Clearly, many modes of external resonator can fit in gratings bandwidth. Fortunately, there's also an internal cavity that provides selectivity. Because the external cavity's length is defined by aluminum bracket holding parts together, it's expected to change by around 0.0023%/K. While it doesn't seem like much, it gives almost full mode hop for 1K of temperature change.

Internal cavity mode spacing

A laser diode's structure is usually a few hundred um long. For simplicity, let's assume it's 500 um long and that index of refraction is 3.5, giving 7630 wave nodes inside the resonator for a mode spacing of 77.3 pm. Overlapping both cavities and grating bandwidth creates higher selectivity filter (see picture), additionally external cavity stabilizes small drifts due to thermal changes of internal cavity. It should be noted that because of big internal cavity mode spacing, small changes to temperature or injection current will hop external cavity modes one by one retuning the system. It's therefore critical to stabilize diode temperature and current. How precisely should temperature be stabilized depends on what semiconductor is used. For eg. red laser diodes, made from AlInGaP are very sensitive to temperature, drifting 120 pm / K while free running. To maintain single external cavity mode, temperature has to be regulated to with-in 21.7 mK. For GaN diodes the requirements aren't nearly as strict.
    Physical construction

Let's look from outside to inside. The entire system is placed on big slab of aluminum working as sturdy base and heatsink. On that there's Peltier module mounted, on which rests an inner baseplate. The inner baseplate holds the entire optical path. On one right there's Newport mount to which diffraction grating will be glued, on the other end there's another Peltier module, hosting brass laser diode + collimator mount. To protect the optics from dust and air currents, everything will be covered with 3d printed plastic cover with glass window positioned at brewster angle or AR coated window, depending on what will be easier to source.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ECDL_adnotations.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	61024

And as always more details are on my blog: https://sduc6.blogspot.com/2024/03/e...er-part-1.html[/QUOTE]