Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: The big TEC driver thread!

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Ok Sleepless in Germany, I'll have a butchers hook over the next few days. Time to get drunk as it's my 47th orbit of Sol today. I would not like to see this finalised until V1.0 is nailed.

BTW, with your Maxim choice, take a look at pricing. The MAX233 is something like 3 x the cost of MAX232A.
    Well happy birthday to you dude.... 47... those were the days my friend (I'm 52). Wish you all the best and I'll drink one on your birthday on this side of the Globe.

Jeah I did compare prices on the 232 and 233. Here the 232 is about 3€ and the 233 about 5€ max. (the site is down at the moment, can't double check!)

Sure we're gona nail V1.0 first, but I just couldn't see you striding on by yourself to V2.0. Maybe I'll just send both to ya for your sleepless nights.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Solarfire; 02-16-2011 at 04:40.

Time to get drunk as it's my 47th orbit of Sol today.
    HAPPY B'DAY dnar....
    Have a drink on me...

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Happy birthday dnar

Cheers,
    Ed

@dnar: Happy 47th, dnar! I'm only 4 years behind you

@solarfire: Some suggestions for the schematics:

v1/v2 - Shouldnt we be monitoring the state of the LMD18200's overtemp line with the micro, not just with a LED?

v1/v2 - Could we add support for an RTD temp sensor, as well as NTC? They are more accurate, and the small ones have VERY fast responses. Not that much more expensive than an NTC therm.

v2 - Better to use a 10 pin header instead of a DB9 connector
    v2 - Suggest a MAX231 instead of 233.. Cheaper, very common, same DIP pinout as max232, and only needs 0.1uf caps.
    v2 - Remember to tie unused rs232 driver TTL inputs to ground, and rs232 line side inputs to -9v

I have a PCR reactor (VERY fine temp control, better than 0.01C) kicking around at work, so I'll have a look at how it drives its peltier for some more ideas.

Cheers,

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by lasersbee View Post
    HAPPY B'DAY dnar....
    Have a drink on me...

Jerry
    Thanks! I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarfire View Post
    Well happy birthday to you dude.... 47... those were the days my friend (I'm 52). Wish you all the best and I'll drink one on your birthday on this side of the Globe.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by megaton View Post
    Happy birthday dnar

Cheers,
    Ed
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ogoun View Post

v1/v2 - Shouldnt we be monitoring the state of the LMD18200's overtemp line with the micro, not just with a LED?

v1/v2 - Could we add support for an RTD temp sensor, as well as NTC? They are more accurate, and the small ones have VERY fast responses. Not that much more expensive than an NTC therm.

v2 - Suggest a MAX231 instead of 233.. Cheaper, very common, same DIP pinout as max232, and only needs 0.1uf caps.
    v2 - Remember to tie unused rs232 driver TTL inputs to ground, and rs232 line side inputs to -9v

I have a PCR reactor (VERY fine temp control, better than 0.01C) kicking around at work, so I'll have a look at how it drives its peltier for some more ideas.

Cheers,

Pete
    Thanks. All good suggestions. I thought the MAX232A was identical to MAX232 except for the 0.1uF caps. I am not expecting the bridge to get hot let alone warm, being a low Rds FET bridge.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by ogoun View Post

Cheers,

Pete
    Ok.. V1.00 is wrapped up as far as I’m concerned. To the LMD18200's overtemp question, we're all I/Oed out.

And for the RTD temp sensor in V1.00 would require more PCB-Space which is already bigger than I was hoping for. I also did a part cost assessment (Germany), without the PCB, and it comes to roughly 24€. Prices were sourced at hobby level suppliers. Attached are the V1.00 schematic, placement and rout doc’s. The Eagle files won’t be posted until dnar has implemented and tested the Software and confirms the build. If the build and R values confirm some of the trimmers may be replaced with standard 1% resistors.

Also attached, another prelim update of the V2.00 schematic and PCB-placement plan. I ended up using a MAX232A due to sourcing issues here of the MAX231 (special order?), the only supplier which had it stock had it priced 3 fold of the 232A. Can we live with the 232A?

As for RTD temp sensor in V2.00, I’ll have to take a closer look at that one.

Is there a particular reason why everyone is set on a 10 pin header instead of a DB9 connector for the RS232? The pads I’m using are for PCB-Edge mounting (see the Placement plan).

Cheers!

Hey Wayne! How’s the head doing there buddy?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MCUTEC-Controller ATmega88 V2.00 Placement.pdf  

MCUTEC-Controller ATmega88 V2.00.pdf  

MCUTEC-Controller ATtiny24 V1.00 Routs GND Plane.pdf  

MCUTEC-Controller ATtiny24 V1.00.pdf  

MCUTEC-Controller ATtiny24 V1.00 Routs.pdf  

MCUTEC-Controller ATtiny24 V1.00 Placement.pdf  

Nice clean job on the PCB...
    I would stay with the RS232 connector. They are easy
    to find and cheap to buy and easy to wire..
    And if you want to add USB all you need is a standard
    RS232 to USB Converter Cable for around $2.00 that
    will eliminate the use of extra PCB real estate for USB
    connectivity.

Jerry
    Last edited by lasersbee; 02-17-2011 at 03:03. Reason: Spelling errors
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Solarfire View Post
    Ok.. V1.00 is wrapped up as far as I’m concerned. To the LMD18200's overtemp question, we're all I/Oed out.

And for the RTD temp sensor in V1.00 would require more PCB-Space which is already bigger than I was hoping for. I also did a part cost assessment (Germany), without the PCB, and it comes to roughly 24€. Prices were sourced at hobby level suppliers. Attached are the V1.00 schematic, placement and rout doc’s. The Eagle files won’t be posted until dnar has implemented and tested the Software and confirms the build. If the build and R values confirm some of the trimmers may be replaced with standard 1% resistors.

Also attached, another prelim update of the V2.00 schematic and PCB-placement plan. I ended up using a MAX232A due to sourcing issues here of the MAX231 (special order?), the only supplier which had it stock had it priced 3 fold of the 232A. Can we live with the 232A?

As for RTD temp sensor in V2.00, I’ll have to take a closer look at that one.

Is there a particular reason why everyone is set on a 10 pin header instead of a DB9 connector for the RS232? The pads I’m using are for PCB-Edge mounting (see the Placement plan).

Cheers!

Hey Wayne! How’s the head doing there buddy?
    Hi mate, the heads is ok! I had a big sleep to shake this cold. Runny nose, sneezing all the time and it's 37c here!

I'll checked the files, all good. I did contemplate a separate Vin for the bridge. It could make sense to use 5V for small TEC's. BTW, with MAX232A I have always used non-polarised 100nF caps. I can't recall if this is recommended or not.

I prefer an IDC10 header for several reasons, the PCB size is reduced and you can locate the panel mount D9 away from the PCB easily. Personal preference, that is all. I feel temp monitoring of the bridge is not necessary as total dissipation should be minimal with low Rds FET's hard on or off. Those bridges are designed to switch higher loads at higher voltages than we would ever encounter. It will be interesting to test sans heatsink, as I feel that also won't be a requirement. Look at the Beer Keg controller, a tiny SMD switch, that did not even get warm in my tests to 4A at 12V...

On the subject of NTC etc, I have also used LM35 which provide an accurate 10mV/C. I have not used them in high speed applications however, so can't comment if they are more suitable than NTC in this application. I do like them for the fact you can epoxy the flat face to the heatsink for improved thermal bonding when compared to the curved facets of NTC thermistors.

I plan to spend some time on code for V1 this weekend.
    Last edited by dnar; 02-17-2011 at 04:06.
    This space for rent.

Default specs , data on TEC and general info

I know you guys all ready have this stuff down to a sience and more than likly have any and all this infomation like the TEC contorler elec schematics and such, bt just in case you don't or some one like me needs it here it is, yes some of it was collected from PL's TEC thread.
    I hope this will some what be helpfull to some member here. Enjoy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TEC CHILLERS.pdf 
Views:	39 
Size:	207.4 KB 
ID:	23682Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thermoelectric-Cooling-basics[1].pdf 
Views:	11 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	23681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TEC Controller no SMD 60W.pdf 
Views:	36 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	23674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TEC Controller no SMD 30W.pdf 
Views:	21 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	23675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TEC Controller no SMD 30W H-Bridge.pdf 
Views:	26 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	23677Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TEC Controller no SMD 60W Basic.pdf 
Views:	28 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	23676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TEC COLD PLATE.pdf 
Views:	22 
Size:	303.0 KB 
ID:	23678Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thermistor_100K for TEC Cooling.pdf 
Views:	8 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	23679Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hipowerpumplasers_tn_cc_ae[1].pdf 
Views:	9 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	23680
    BEAMANN (GODSLIGHT SHOWS)

I'll checked the files, all good. I did contemplate a separate Vin for the bridge. It could make sense to use 5V for small TEC's.
    Unfortunatly this bridge's Vs is 12-55V which is why current limitation is essential!

BTW, with MAX232A I have always used non-polarised 100nF caps. I can't recall if this is recommended or not.
    In the MAX232A datasheet 0u1 poled caps are used..

Name:	MAX232A.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	23683

I prefer an IDC10 header for several reasons, the PCB size is reduced and you can locate the panel mount D9 away from the PCB easily. Personal preference, that is all.
    Ok.. IDC10 header implemented

I feel temp monitoring of the bridge is not necessary as total dissipation should be minimal with low Rds FET's hard on or off. Those bridges are designed to switch higher loads at higher voltages than we would ever encounter.
    Yeah.. I don't think so either

On the subject of NTC etc, I have also used LM35 which provide an accurate 10mV/C. I have not used them in high speed applications however, so can't comment if they are more suitable than NTC in this application. I do like them for the fact you can epoxy the flat face to the heatsink for improved thermal bonding when compared to the curved facets of NTC thermistors.
    For the NTC's I have a 4mm bore between Diode and TEC 8mm into the mount, embedded in thermal compound.

Name:	neu-2.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	23684