Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: The big TEC driver thread!

Does it regulate the TEC current or is it a on/off thermostat with a H bridge? For the price I suspect the last but even still.. the price is very low. I really doubt you can build it yourself cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    does it have to see a 5 degree difference between set temp and sensor so as to start working? or it can control temp over a 5 degree "window"?
    That’s just what the controller is presently set at; it’s just a matter of reprogramming the window to whatever you need. Originally this was a controller for a keg cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarfire View Post
    That’s just what the controller is presently set at; it’s just a matter of reprogramming the window to whatever you need. Originally this was a controller for a keg cooler.

yes, i saw the kegs they sell and was also intrigued

so, me being not at all knowledgable, what does this programming involve? you just need to connect the board to the pc via some sort of cable and go through the programms, or is it a process similar to EPROM chips ?
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by SrS View Post
    Does it regulate the TEC current or is it a on/off thermostat with a H bridge? For the price I suspect the last but even still.. the price is very low. I really doubt you can build it yourself cheaper.

From what I’ve gathered out of the code, outside of the programmed window the TEC is on and within the window it’s a PWM signal. For someone with programming knowledge it shouldn’t be a problem to reprogram to do whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    How do these perform? Does the code implement PID loop or simple thermostat with hysteresis?

Cheers.

Currently it’s programmed as a simple thermostat with hysteresis, a keg cooler doesn’t need more than that. But I’m sure a PID loop shouldn’t be a problem either. I’m not at home right now so I don’t have access to the code and documentation at the moment. I haven’t checked yet how much more code can be implemented.

Hmm I want some just to try it out. If Codevison means CodeVisonAVR then I got all the tools needed. I guess its build around an ATiny so the code space may be limited.

For crude temperature control this controller should be enough. But forget about cooling/heating your DPSS

Quote Originally Posted by SrS View Post
    Hmm I want some just to try it out. If Codevison means CodeVisonAVR then I got all the tools needed. I guess its build around an ATiny so the code space may be limited.

For crude temperature control this controller should be enough. But forget about cooling/heating your DPSS
    Exactly, and for the purpose that I’m using them for (±0.5° @ 22°C) it’s just not going to get any better than this, at that price.

If you want to take a look at the code just shoot me a PM and I’ll get back to ya when I get home.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Solarfire View Post
    Currently it’s programmed as a simple thermostat with hysteresis, a keg cooler doesn’t need more than that. But I’m sure a PID loop shouldn’t be a problem either. I’m not at home right now so I don’t have access to the code and documentation at the moment. I haven’t checked yet how much more code can be implemented.
    Ok, thanks. Any chance of getting a copy of the code?

Many thanks.

Wayne.
    This space for rent.

Current code only turns the TEC on/off at specific points and takes 548 bytes from the 1024 bytes of flash. Also.. it seems you can only use it to heat or cool.

But €4,5 for a pre-build pcb you can’t complain

Yeah, I have taken a look at the code, it is very rudimentary but has potential for much more fine grained regulation.
    This space for rent.