Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 70s Style Color Organ

Default 70s Style Color Organ

I was talking with another member here and the topic of the old 70s color organ came up. OK, here's a question- how many people here spaced out to these back in high school? (my hand is raised).

The reason I ask is this- I have a current Lumia projector in the works, and I thought it would be nice to be able to modify it by adding a mode that controls modulation via sound input. I have a modern version of a color organ that blinks LED's, but I have found that this one is more of a peak level meter than a true notch filter that segregates frequency bands. Another thing that I would seek in the ideal circuit is the ability to modulate with intensity, rather than a mere on/off flicker.
    There are plently of kits out there, but after much looking, I am not sure any of them possess the specific attributes I require.

I have a toy "spy microphone" that has a sensitive mic and preamp, so I thought that might serve as a starting point. It seems like most of these circuits use what amounts to a speaker crossover to split the incoming sound signal into its respective bands. It shouldn't bee too difficult, but then again I am no EE. If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts, let me know!

-Mike

My Grandfather and I built some when I was around 10.
    He owned an Electric lighting business.

FLASHBACKS!!

Heathkit, mid-70's -

Three strings of Christmas lights behind a cool lens and frame, synchronized to the treble (yellow), mid-range (blue), and bass (red).
    Coolest Christmas lights / music gadget I ever saw, until the Light O Rama system came on the scene a few years ago!! (Christmas '09 should be entertaining ).

Also had the plasma light bulb (duh!), and then - I discovered lasers....
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[quote=Stuka;86931]FLASHBACKS!!

Heathkit, mid-70's -

Three strings of Christmas lights behind a cool lens and frame, synchronized to the treble (yellow), mid-range (blue), and bass (red).
    Coolest Christmas lights / music gadget I ever saw, until the Light O Rama system came on the scene a few years ago!! (Christmas '09 should be entertaining ).

You just had to go and mention that, now I'll have that "wizards in winter" youtube in my head all day...........

[quote=mixedgas;86941]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    FLASHBACKS!!

Heathkit, mid-70's -

You just had to go and mention that, now I'll have that "wizards in winter" youtube in my head all day...........
    Yep - and hopefully, in my front yard for the holidays!
    (Although probably not NEAR as elaborate as the youtube video!!)
    Last edited by Stuka; 03-12-2009 at 09:57.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Unfortunately, I am much to young and have never seen one of these in person. I was thinking about building one, and actually watching youtube videos yesterday. Does anyone know of any plans online to build one? It looks like they are not that sound responsive though.
    - instinct

Yeah, I had one of those when I was 16. Cutting edge stuff back then.

Are those LED's or little coloured incandescent bulbs?

Back in the ancient days (70's), they were good old unreliable incandescent light bulbs!!

LEDS would probably be much more reliable and generate a lot less heat...
    RR

Sweet.....