Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Laserworld

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Isnt "purelight" a coherent trademark?

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Default Advert

I was just enclosing what they said to me after i accused them of being bullshitters, on the back of what you lot are saying. I am certainly not trying to advertise them! I no nothing about them and have been trying to find out about them through this forum. I posted the spec on the model i was looking at to see if any one new that range of their product, as in the Purelight series.
    I am hopefully going to be building a 4 watter using the laser wave products

I don't think anyone read your post titles..

>>BUMPITTY BUMP BUMP!!<<

This thread MUST remain visible!!!

(by the way, i am now being blamed for the lasers in this review being underpowered and ruined!! LOL...its ALL my fault!!)

More to come....

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Wink

That is what you get for sticking your nose into things you have no knowledge about... You need to stick to something you luv...

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    by the way, i am now being blamed for the lasers in this review being underpowered and ruined
    Hey Marc,

Why don't you make a video of yourself opening the box, setting them up, and then measuring them?

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Isnt "purelight" a coherent trademark?

Steve
    Yes, it is...
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

More Laserworld....

On tuesday I had my first encounter with a big Laserworld projector. Carl40 from the south coast came to see me with his recently purchased PL 2100 projector. Impressively supplied in a sturdy flight case with lots of padding the projector itself looked the part from the outside. The case is a steel frame with nice blue powder coated bottom, back, ends and L shaped lid. The output window is a much larger than needed affair but with a substantial ar glass in place The L shaped lid is held in place by somewhere in the order of 20 M4 screws which were removed to reveal the insides. All of the case looked sturdy - but more of that later...
    The spec suggests a max power of 2100mW and a gauranteed 1800mW (if I remember correctly - maybe Carl can confirm). it has 445, 640, and 532 nm lasers in as well as Laserworld 50k scanners. To be honest for the money I would have expected (not hoped) to see CT6215 scanners in there, but LW50ks it was.
    Carls reasons for bringing it to me was that appart from the sacnners being out of tune and the alignment of the lasers being poor, there were some strange artefacts in the output. He had reported to me on the phone that the green beam wasnt hitting the scanner mirrors square on and that there were diffuse green artefacts to the left and right of the scanned image. I expected this was the beam being scattered of the grazed egde of the mirror but it turned out to be dirty scanner mirrors and the reason it wasnt happening to the other colours was that, due to alignment they were missing this particular muck! We also cleaned the dirty dichros and the dirty output window of the 640nm laser! None of this should be needed on a cheap projector thats weeks old never mind an expensive one!
    The CNI green was bolted down pointing directly at the scaners and was jacked up at the back with a 2 piece ally 'shim' I removed this to allow the laser to be placed firmly down on the bed and then slackened the 3 screws that hold the lens nose on and shifted the beam with this to place it properly on the scanner mirrors. After this we had to shim the red and blue lasers up at the back and front respectively to make them cross the green beam path at the right height. Then adjusting the dichros with the LW coarse thread adjutments we managed to get the whole thing aligned really nicely. Job done (or so we thought)
    Next we retuned the scanners at 30k - there is no way without serious work that they will go near 50k and for them to be sold with this rating is insane. At 30k and 8 degrees we got a spot on tp after a short tuning session.
    I know you are all waiting for power readings, so here we go....
    CNI 532nm 600mW outputting 760mW straight off the laser - though it does take some time to come up to power even after a breif shutdown
    Swisslas 640nm 400mW outputting 385mW straight off the laser
    Swisslas 445nm 700mW (thats seems to me to be an under driven 1W or an over driven 500mW!) outputting 690mW
    Now the crazy thing is that on paper that red is way too low but the white output of this thing was truly gorgeous! Very bright and clean white that I would be very happy with indeed! Before we started a single white beam with all lasers on was measured at 1200mW off the scanners and after we had finished 1500mW, so we improved it by about 25%! but still it was nowhere near the 1800mW let alone the 2100mW theoretical max power.
    One thing we didnt manage was to cure the red artefacts in the output, Carl had tried to describe them to me on the phone but I didnt understand til I saw it - there is noise on the red laser when its turned off so any blanked area where the scanners are travelling with no laser output has the possiblity of being shown up with a row of red dots. I put a scope on the blaning input of the red and there is no noise on there so its being bourne from inside the driver! Very annoying and bright enough to show up in a hazy room! So this one defeated us.
    So around 4pm we thought we had it wrapped up and placed the lid back on - afetr tightening those M4 screws the whole thing went out of alignment! So then the lid came back off
    The 10mm thick ally baseplate is made from what could never be described as Aerospace quality material its soft and unpleasant to work with (as I found out when I drilled a hole in it). Aside from this it floats inside the case on 12 120mm high aluminium legs that are made from 7-8 mm hex bar. Along each edge of the baseplate there are 3 with each corner therefore having 2 within about 25-30mm of each other. These are screwed down to the steel frame of the chassis so the baseplate is not attached to the front, back or sides directly. However using very little effort squeezing the frame in the front centre adjacent to where the baseplate lies flexes the whole thing enough for the alignment to be lost.
    We found we could get the alignment to drift out significantly by putting the lid in place and screwing in the 2 M4 screws adjecent to the baseplate using very light screwdriver pressure. We also noticed how much the lid buckles about when putting screws in as its clearly made for a different case - its just not a good fit.
    The baseplate had a bend in it in the centre at the front right where the dicros were mounted so I made a 10mm x 230mm x 90mm plate out of propper ally and bolted it across this area with laser-wave dicros and mounts fitted. This along with removing the centre support leg at the front of the case improved the flex but did not eradicate it - I susspect this would only be possible by replacing the entire baseplate with suitable material and mounting it in the case porperly.
    All in all we had a successful day but this in not the kind of work one should have to do to a very expensive and new piece of kit.

Laserworld gets a big thumbs down form me

Rob
    edit - PS I forgot to mention the fans - this projector has lots of fans which are very noisy and not one has a filter on it including the one that blows directly into the scanner/dichro area!
    Last edited by stanwax; 08-01-2009 at 04:13.
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Some images to go with the above post

1/ ilda tp at 30k after we finished
    2/ red blanking noise
    3/ Carls shot of ilda tp @ 30k prior to the visit - green scatter very evident
    4/ 3 white dots clearly showing the green scatter
    5/ white circle with green scatter and red blanking noise evident
    6/ overview of the projector from the front - looking like some tape the foam pad on the left of the shot is the area that if we push the frame on both sides we get enough flex to destroy the alignment

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ilda 12k 30000pps.JPG  

ildatprob.jpg  

DSCF1146.JPG  

DSCF1153.JPG  

DSCF1170.JPG  

redblank.jpg  

If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

Was this £11000 Rob?
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

I dont know for certain what it cost but I do beleive it was in that ball park.

Rob