Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Laserworld

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Angry

I certainly do NOT want to defend LaserWorld in this case, but... There is something I don't understand though...
    LaserWorld was at Pro Light & Sound in Frankfurt 2008 and I picked up their price lists and special deals for this fair. Nowhere does it state that you can buy a 3.5 Watt whitelight for 5-6K USD. Their standard retail price is actually 28,900 EURO for the Pro-3000RGB. The special deal valid till 15 March 08 was around half that price.
    Looking around on Ebay you CAN actually find a 3500RGB -not in their pricelist- for 6,000... So what is up with this ? Something like this COULD suggest their is a seperate circuit for these lasers or some cheap oriental copy...
    However, one could also assume that if the internals of the lasers remain equal then 28.900 euro is an even more incredible rip-off than 6.000...

There are more of these companies out there. I had a client who came to me with a Hungarian laser recently. It was sold as 1,5 Watt RED @ 635nm. It actually output 550mW before the scanners and because the beam was huge (!), half of that was lost on the XY mirrors resulting in a staggering 275mW output at continuous modulation with 5 V.

Makes me sick each time I have to explain all this to every prospect client... Somebody should stop them.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Quote Originally Posted by lasertony View Post
    ..I had a client who came to me with a Hungarian laser recently. It was sold as 1,5 Watt RED @ 635nm. It actually output 550mW before the scanners ....
    Somebody should stop them.
    Name names matey.
    Or create a new thread with their name in the title and your findings in the thread so that they can get the kind of publicity they deserve.
    Otherwise people will continue to be ripped off by these scam artists.

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    If laserworld-ag is someone on a wind-up, he could've take it to the roof by now. Vakuum joined in August 2007 but didn't post until March 2009, and is from Switzerland where I understand Laserworld have an office...
    vakuum manufactures and sells modules to laserworld

@soforene: no, I simply say we measure different things, the power at the laser, not after optics. BTW, with larger lasers we get a measurement protocol, and we get the same readings, so I don' think we're off that far. As is not to be expected, as our meters are calibrated regularly at Coherent.

We also do measurements after all optics, and they are lower, as I guess everyone would have expected. Blame it on our optics (the worst in the world, as it was so nicely put here), or on the setup, or whatever. So the cheaper lasers have worse optics. As a competitor I would be glad for that. If it was the other way round, well, I guess I would feel uncomfortable if the competition would build better products for less.
    It is claimed, that for this price there should be better optics. Just help our marketing department - up to what price would it be OK to use the cheaper optics?

And yes, with the red there is a loss through the size of the beam. We would be glad if there were red diodes at that price and power with better beam characteristics. We always point the problems with those lasers to our customers, but nevertheless people want to buy those. With our higher priced lasers we use different diodes with better beam characteristics. With those we need less red power to get balanced white. Because the losses are smaller. It's on our website, for all to see.

But why aren't those things pointed out? Because claiming fraud reads better? If the claim is, that we sell underpowered diodes (with blacked out power labels), then take the measurements at the diode, it should be easy to prove the diodes are underpowered, don't it? And with an open projector it is really not that much more complex to take the measurement at the diode.

There are mostly two theories on why we can sell cheap laser. One is that they are in fact underpowered. The other is we "tune up" the lasers, so they get enough power, but reducing the life time. It's hard to see how both can be true.
    We can sell cheap, because we sell in large numbers. Some 10,000s projectors of all sizes per year. And, no, I don't think that we are the only ones who can do measurements while all others are stupid. Just as I wouldn't say, that those 10,000 users are stupid, and not able to see that they are using underpowered lasers. I'm just saying we are measuring different things.

Oh, by the way, regarding the blacked out labels on the laser, if you buy lasers in larger numbers in China, lets say of 200mW lasers, they will have, for example, 200-250mW with a label stating something like >50mW. Unfortunately some people don't understand the meaning of the ">" sign. When we asked to change this - they were blacked out. You got to love them for their simple solutions.

Thumbs down

You got fired on your day off didn't you...

Hmmm - I now naff all about lasers but I think I may know more than you lot @ Laserworld!

Jibberish!
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Quote Originally Posted by laserworld-ag View Post
    Oh, by the way, regarding the blacked out labels on the laser, if you buy lasers in larger numbers in China, lets say of 200mW lasers, they will have, for example, 200-250mW with a label stating something like >50mW. Unfortunately some people don't understand the meaning of the ">" sign. When we asked to change this - they were blacked out. You got to love them for their simple solutions.

You are a liar.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Thumbs down

Absolute poppycock and bullshit.

I notice the fact that members on this forum have measured the output before the optics and found them to be waaaaaaay below the specified spec has been ignored in the above post by an alleged member of staff at Laserworld.
    Perhaps laserworld-ag could tell us what this "measurement protocol" is which they use to determine the power of their lasers.
    Should be easy enough for the folks to replicate on here to see if in fact they speak the truth or are just full of it.

Could Admin possible confirm that the users IP is in fact from Germany and that we aren't party to some wind up merchant?

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    Could Admin possible confirm that the users IP is in fact from Germany and that we aren't party to some wind up merchant?
    That is Peter. Hes the CTO or something for Laserworld.