Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *EXTREMELY* upset with Lasever

Thumbs down *EXTREMELY* upset with Lasever

A few months ago, I purchased a 473nm laser @ 200mW from this company
    at a cost of $590 + shipping. The laser ran for *maybe* 2 hours at the most
    and then died. They told me to ship it back to them and they would repair it
    at no cost if it was a manufacturing defect (or *at cost* to me if it were due
    to some negligence on my part).

When they received the laser, they told me that the TEC was burned out and
    that this was due to my running the laser outside (we had previously discussed
    that I ran the laser for about 1 hour indoors and 1 hour outdoors). So now they
    want an additional $10 for the TEC + $40 for repair.. which I find to be complete
    bull-crap!!

First of all, the laser head *and* power supply were mounted to a 10" x 12"
    Thorlabs optical breadboard (1/4" thick). Secondly, the laser head *and* the
    power supply both came with cooling fans already installed from Lasever. And
    third, the difference in temperature between indoors and outdoors was *at most*
    10°F hotter outside, as the test was ran during the night (for obvious reasons).

Am I the only one who clearly sees this as a scam?! They are merely trying to
    find any excuse for covering the cost of repair for their own faulty equipment.
    This is both illegal and immoral. Of course, being based out of China, there is
    probably absolutely nothing I can do about it other than tick them off and
    possibly never see my laser again. But I still think it is disgrace when a company
    uses dishonest practices like this. I shall certainly *not* be doing business with
    them again in the future.

Comments? Suggestions?

Also, the laser driver and head are equipped with a 10k thermistor to
    measure temperature and provide feedback.. yes?? The laser driver
    should have shut off long before the TEC burned out.. yes?? This is
    my understanding, at least.

I think their operation is a bit of a scam. Their 473nm lasers are known to be junk. But, at this point, what options do you have? Everyone already knows lasever 473nm lasers are junk so making a stink won't help. You can't call the Better Business Bureau about a company in China. Honestly, your best option is to pay for the repair, test it when you receive it, and sell it to some poor sucker immediately before it dies again.

Are they charging you any extra for return postage? $50 is hardly the end of the world, sometimes you just have to let your principles go. I always found David at Lasever to be a reasonable and fair person... Just sayin'

I know they had issues with the early 473's, but I thought they'd got over that some time ago.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I just got a response from David Wu himself (first time ever).

Hello there,

Van didn't say things clearly.

1) TEC went wrong
    2) Not properly attaching the hot surface of TEC to a heatsink, for a few seconds, would lead to destory of TEC
    3)the overhot protect function shuts down the laser diode. It doesn't shut down TEC.
    4)You would agree that warranty doesn't cover products disassembled by users. If someone from Lasever authorized you to disassemble the laser, the warranty would still work.

Best Regards,
    David Wu
    Sales Manager
    LASEVER INC.
    Now they are saying I disassembled the laser?! WTF??
    I *DID NOT* take the laser apart. Grrrrr..

So explain it to them calmly...rationally and professionally that you did not
    mechanically disassemble the Laser.

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

I did.. to which he replied:

Workmen informed us that there were disassemble evidences on laser.
    .. which is complete crap. I would ask them for proof of this 'evidence' but they
    would probably just go and strip out a few screws on the laser head and then
    send a photo. Of course, *I* know that I did not do it. Who was it that said
    'there is only one version of the truth'? I will pay the stupid $50 just to get my
    laser back. But if anything good should come out of this, it would be that people
    should know.. ORDER FROM LASEVER AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU MAY GET SCAMMED.

Pay your money but $50 says it will break again
    Soon , its a known fact that lasever blues
    Are not great , rarly do you get one that works
    Any longer than 3 months .
    That said there greens are great i never had one
    Go wrong
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

I have a 250mW green from them also. It has not given me any problems.
    Its seems like if you know how to make a 532nm DPSS laser, then you can
    also make a 473nm DLSS laser. I mean.. its basically the exact same thing?!

not quiet the same and that why lasever could never get it right, different xtals that need better control over thier temps,and
    early models were not sealed properly and moisture in the air kills xtals in blue dpss modules
    which 473 model did you get ? , some where single tec and a real pain for working properly
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.