Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: WiFi connection for USB devices - sorted

Thumbs up WiFi connection for USB devices - sorted

Well it's probably been done and talked about before but here is my attempt at it and I thought I would share it because I finally got it working
    Here is the setup I have:

3gHz Laptop with internal Wifi running WinXP SP3.

***Gap***

Linksys WAG54G WirelessG ADSL Gateway with 4 port switch.
    RJ45 connector lead into one of the ports of the Linksys and then into the RJ45 plug on the Belkin.
    Belkin F5L009 Network 5 port USB HUB.
    DAC(s) connected to the Belkin

I installed the software and drivers that came with the Belkin Network USB hub and connected the Lappy to the Linksys via the WiFi connection. I switched off the ADSL modem part of the Linksys as I didn't need it. Then i I created a 'network bridge' from the wireless connection to the LAN connection in 'network settings' in XP, cancelling any internet sharing on either of these connections before I proceeded.

This now allows me to plug in my USB DAC's and via a WiFi connection, control my projectors from my Laptops.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3169.JPG  

IMG_3170.JPG  

IMG_3171.JPG  

--------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

glad you got it up and running mate.

did you test the range? mines pretty good
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I tested it from the conservatory, around the back of the house, to about 15m out from the front of the house - Signal was weak but it worked.
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

excellent .
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Oh I never thought you could do it like this!

I bought a mini ITX board to do exactly this!

How much was the router and the little USB/ethernet hub thing?

the belkin wireless usb hub is about £40-50 and it can be used with any wireless router
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Correct Andy, I paid £45 for this one but PC world do them for £47.95 if you order online.

As for the Linksys - £5 from a car boot sale Worked a treat
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Ahh OK, I found one on newegg for $90US which I thought was a bit expensive, but I guess not

I just got a couple of these little Belkin units, I'm using them on good old-fashioned steam powered wired ethernet. They work really well, even in VMware Fusion! (I installed the drivers for the device into the VM, not into MacOS, so that the VMware USB EHCI emulation code wouldn't be needed). We even had two Belkin units at once working!

They seem to be much better protected against noise than the USB extenders I've used in the past- we tried hitting them with our Dodgy Fogger Test of Doom which produces nice big pulses of broadband EM and ground bounce- no response. They even tolerate being disconnected from the host machine briefly, without needing to restart software or reboot the VM.

The only niggle I've found is that if the USB goes away (ie., the FB3 gets unplugged from the Belkin) while any of the Pangolin software is running, the Windows instance slows to a crawl (like one screen update every twenty seconds) and eventually crashes. Also, the FB3 firmware upload in LiveQuick doesn't work over the network device, but that's no big hardship since you only need to do it once.

ive put a lot of time into trying to get livepro working with this belkin wireless usb hub.

but if you stop using livepro for long than 20 seconds it just freezes livepro and crashes. i spoke to bill about this and apparently its the hub not livepro.

now this is strange as the hub works perfect with moncha and fiesta.

but bill knows much more about livepro than me and when viewing the error log file said its was the belkin hub.

one thing ive not tried is the latest version of livepro for the fb3. i must get round to testing this.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat