Thread: New nano lasers @ 44nm outputting 530nm light - interesting article.

Default New nano lasers @ 44nm outputting 530nm light - interesting article.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0816171003.htm -> 44nm sized laser dubbed a nano-lasers which emits 530nm.

The interesting info pulled from the fluff:
    "
    The spasers contain a gold core surrounded by a glasslike shell filled with green dye. When a light was shined on the spheres, plasmons generated by the gold core were amplified by the dye. The plasmons were then converted to photons of visible light, which was emitted as a laser.
    Spaser stands for surface plasmon amplification by stimulated emission of radiation. To act like lasers, they require a "feedback system" that causes the surface plasmons to oscillate back and forth so that they gain power and can be emitted as light. Conventional lasers are limited in how small they can be made because this feedback component for photons, called an optical resonator, must be at least half the size of the wavelength of laser light.

The researchers, however, have overcome this hurdle by using not photons but surface plasmons, which enabled them to create a resonator 44 nanometers in diameter, or less than one-tenth the size of the 530-nanometer wavelength emitted by the spaser.
    "

I am pretty sure the output won't be too much but packing a bunch in one area could prove interesting, they just need other dyes to pump now.

-Adam
    Last edited by sugeek; 08-17-2009 at 12:49. Reason: formatting was bugging me...
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

that seems to mean that laser TV will have a short live...

just imagine the same technology with blue and red emitting dyes, all arranged in a matrix screen, and voila, you have the newt evolution in display technology

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

ALL fun and good that they have wispering mode quantum dot lasers< but wait till you have to sort them by wavelength or pay for them> My past experience with QDs at the university was they are not cheap nor easy to make consistantly.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

well, I think it's just a matter of years, perhaps tens of years, for quantum physics and quantum chemistry to make these kind of things industrially possible

just pray that we will still be able to find some nice things to play with, and that we won't have to be a PhD to use what will be the equivalent of a laser diode nowadays

when I think about the evolution you, "old fellows", you had to face with, and the associated difficulties, I can only hope it will not be so much harder for us young people as I fear

I hope I made myself understood, as sometimes it is not really easy to express complex sentences in a foreign language