Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Here is what 100+mW to the eye looks like to me

I found it on the internet

I could edit one of the caution signs for you, I have made them is visio.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nopointer.jpg  

nomorepointers.jpg  

CAUTION BRIGHT LASERS.jpg  

extra bright laser V2.jpg  

Extra bright v3.jpg  

Extra bright v5.jpg  

I like the no laser pointer but in this case it just needs to have the image and say 'No use of hand held laser pointers this evening"
    I don't even want the legit 4.9mw and under being used.

I appreciate your offer and would love to take you up on the sign. I was hoping to be able to have it a bit bigger though then the image shown. Hoping for a half page so that I can put it below the warning laser are use sign at the entrances of the venue. I just can't find that specific no laser pointer image in a larger format.

Thanks again,
    Matt

Karl, any updates?

I know this is an old thread, but I can't help but wonder how things went.

By the way, a word of advice: if you are ever faced with a similar situation, you should give the laser to the police, rather than destroy it. This is how most schools deal with confiscated items that they deem illegal, which I think works pretty well.

Also, two wrongs don't always make a right, especially in the eyes of the law. True, what that idiotic kid did was utterly stupid and most undoubtedly illegal. However, that doesn't automatically give you the right to smash the laser. In the strictest legal sense, you did destroy someone's property, and doing the "right thing" doesn't change the fact. This is why you should let the cops handle it. After all, we've all heard of people grabbing the gun from a robber and shooting them, only to get sued by the robber, who actually wins the lawsuit.

Of course, it's unlikely that that kid will ever sue you, especially because it seemed to be one of those cheap lasers from Asia, but you're going to have a hard time explaining why you didn't turn the illegal item (a.k.a. the laser) in to the police should some jackass DA pick up the case. If someone left a bag of heroin next to my house, and I decide to destroy the heroin by burning it, I don't think Uncle Sam is going to be very proud. It is true that contraband has no legal value, but trying to get rid of it myself is just going to open up a can of worms.

Oh, and if that dumbass kid decides to sue you or keep bugging you about the laser, then here's a really good way to settle things: offer to buy him a new laser (or heck, even two or three) if he agrees to cover the medical costs of everyone involved. That should shut him up really quick. xD
    Last edited by ixfd64; 11-12-2010 at 21:45.
    Check out my laser media here!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

final outcome:

The young gentleman found out under civil court rules in AZ he would have to admit to committing a tort to press his lawsuit, and that the resulting countersuit would crush him. He chose not to file a case.

He mouthed off on the rave scene forums. The resulting social backlash was considerable. Nobody likes a unsafe party.

The Phoenix rave promoters got together and changed the rules.

Signs are now posted at Phoenix raves, no pointers inside. Pointers found misused at raves will be seized or the owner will leave the venue. Phoenix area raves hire off duty police for security, per standing agreement with the local cops, and there will be no giving the laser back.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-14-2010 at 06:52.

Sounds like a good and sensible result. Especially other partgoers backing the decision.

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 10:33.

Laser Warning Laser Safety

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 10:34.

Karl, I'm glad things ended pretty well.

It's actually not a bad idea to have off-duty police moonlight as security personnel because off-duty police officers generally retain their law enforcement powers (in most jurisdictions).

I do one itching question, though:

1. Did security ask the kid to hand over the laser, or did they have to literally wrestle it from him? (I imagine that security probably said something along the lines of, "Sir, it would be in your best interest to hand over that thing right now.")

In any case, if you do change your mind and decide to sue him, then you should do so as soon as possible because Arizona's statute of limitations for personal injury cases (for civil cases) is only two years, at least according to this website.
    Check out my laser media here!