Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: Coherent Sapphire 488-200 OPSL Laser

I sent you a PM.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    This is not an issue with the laser being physically damaged, I found out that the laser is limited by the software to run at a very low current normally to extend the life of the laser. There is a way to run it af full power.
    Basically this could be considered coherent ripping everyone off. Selling a 200mw laser that will run 200mw at limited not as advertised lifetime. Seriously, by everyones standards on this message board, if this was not coherent then everyone would be complaining

Laser Warning

No, the lasers get their full lifetime at full power, however, if you need a 100mw laser, it is cheaper to buy a 200mw laser and run it at 1/2 power to greatly extend the lifetime, rather then buy two 100mw systems. Coherent does not sell products that do not live up to their specs.
    CLICKY!!!

Coherent does not sell products that do not live up to their specs.
    Really, I have a garage full of items from them that did not last their expected lifetime under lab conditions, grossly underpowered. Matter a fact, I still have yet to see a documented and maintained laser actually last their lifetime at spec

luckily for coherent on this one they do not even give a life expectancy on their website so you could be considered correct on this particular item

http://www.coherent.com/Lasers/index...ibutes&ID=1009

I found this identical system on eBay for comparison:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/iCyt-Mission-T...7#ht_500wt_758

That's what they're worth new, but I assure you the price I am willing to sell for is A LOT less than that!

Dan
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by dream beamz View Post
    I have a garage full of items from [Coherent] that did not last their expected lifetime under lab conditions, grossly underpowered. Matter a fact, I still have yet to see a documented and maintained laser actually last their lifetime at spec

luckily for coherent on this one they do not even give a life expectancy on their website so you could be considered correct on this particular item

http://www.coherent.com/Lasers/index...ibutes&ID=1009

If what you say is the norm for Coherent, then given their prices this is a HUGE issue.. If I paid nearly $40,000 for 200mW of 488 and it failed to make power, and then it died prematurely, I'd be beyond pissed even if I was a scientist with a research grant.

That is why things have warranties. I doubt there is a car which has ever gone without a single problem, they have warranties, and I don't see you complaining. Simply put, Coherent productsnlive up to their specs, that is now, perhaps in the past, the Ion lasers had trouble, but new DPSS systems don't have those issues.
    CLICKY!!!

Do you know how to 'open' these Sapphires up Ben? If so, pray tell

I am sure Dan would love to mess with 200mW of 488 rather than just poke about with 70 odd
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    If what you say is the norm for Coherent, then given their prices this is a HUGE issue.. If I paid nearly $40,000 for 200mW of 488 and it failed to make power, and then it died prematurely, I'd be beyond pissed even if I was a scientist with a research grant.
    Since most scientist with research grants do not post on PL, you usually do not hear about them being pissed off

That is why things have warranties. I doubt there is a car which has ever gone without a single problem, they have warranties, and I don't see you complaining. Simply put, Coherent productsnlive up to their specs, that is now, perhaps in the past, the Ion lasers had trouble, but new DPSS systems don't have those issues.
    The point is the coherents go through the same issues other manufactures do. My complaint is with all laser manufactures. Realistically a 200mw laser should probably be turned down to 100mw and then some mystical magic will occur (the laser will last a lot closer to its advertised life expectancy). This goes across the board with everyone who manfactures lasers, melles, coherent, cni, lw.

My gripe is with the industry and how its customers have just kind have come to peace with not getting their moneys worth in this industry. Show me any solid state laser that got 10,000 hours and I would be shocked.

Dan

the last place i woulod want to spend $38,000 bucks on a "Brand new" laser .... is EBAY

its some guy that is trying it on ..... his average auction finishes at about $50 ... out of the 40 or so auctions he has done ...

even though his Ebay name suggests he is connected with the manufacturer... and says its supported by a team of engineers ... im sure he wont be a coherent dealer that can provide the warranty and support

smells of a little bit of BS .... but even i can be wrong

all the best ...

Karl