Thread: Measured my projector

Default Measured my projector

First let me explain how this projector ended up in my hand, I was going back n forth between LD2000 and quickshow. I decided after much painful debate that I wanted LD2000 with all the extra bells VST trace etc also plan on adding the LivePro. Found one (qm2000) for sale with a laserworld projector, yes I had read the horror storys already so I wasn't real excited. This is the Pro RGB-500 projector specs state 360mw guaranteed and 500 max. So I offered $2K US for the card and PJ. He took it so I figured laying of $500 for the projector even if a POS I could alway harvest some parts etc from it.

I intend to still build a nice RGB box using laserwave modules (or what ever ctlasers carries) however for now I am already playing with not much extra out of pocket cost over what intro LD2000 would have cost.

So tonight I took some measurements and am really looking for feedback as to if the loss through optics, scanners and front glass seems normal or if I should swap them just to play as I order in parts for the "real" build. The loss of blue seems very large thinking the reflector for it is passing a lot straight through instead of reflecting. It appears so to the eye, no room yet for the meter will pull the front panel when i have more time and measure.

Total power white light out the front glass: 326mw
    Red out the front glass: 240
    Green out the front glass: 55
    Blue out the front glass: 31

Power at laser head:
    Red very fat beam lots lost: 412
    Green: 74
    Blue : 73

Green off the first mirror: 72
    Green through the red optic: 68
    couldn't measure out blue reflect optic not enough room.

Reds beam was so wide an lost everywhere wasn't worth the effort as measurements would be off since it couldn't all even fit in sensor.

I am not sure what type scanner is in the unit, but the best pattern I could make with the 30K test was at image size of 34 and a scan rate of 24789. The image size I kinda forced as my throw distance is small only about 14' from the wall. Perhaps a smaller image would do a better scan speed? Does anyone know the math of image size to optic angle?

thanks for listening to my rambles, any ideas or opinions are appreciated.

John

Lightbulb

You didn't do to bad with the purchase; I would have jumped on it when I first got into this obsession.

Your red and green losses are about average; more from the red due to the fatty beam. The blue losses are unacceptable in my opinion; I would swap out that optic for a better one. Laserwave or Edmunds...

The scanners are probably laserworld. Give thanks to Tim, trwalters001, for the scan angle calculator: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ght=scan+angle

Overall, for the price I would not complain too much; just swap out the optics and you should have much closer to a half watt and a fairly good white balance working off a Pango card. Can't beat that for $2k.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Any ideas on if anyone sells glass that will work in this type mount or if I'll need to just drill n tap the case an put in a real mount and glass.