Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 642nm 300mW Homemade Module

Default 642nm 300mW Homemade Module

This is my first laser module, I have been building personal pointers for a little while and I feel I have enough practice to get into the scanning world. I am getting ready to build a couple more modules and put them all into one projector.

Diodes: 2x 150mW CW rated 642nm info here: World's First 642nm 150mW Laser Diode Launched by Photonic Products
    Mounting: Diodes are mounted in custom copper housing placed in copper blocks with clamping screws to allow for rotation to dial in polarization
    Lens: 650-G-1 single element lens in custom brass assembly (same as 405-G-1 lens but coated for red AR) info here : FS: Hi-Power AR Lens Assy- 25-30% Inc. vs. Aixiz
    Drivers: Dual Flexmods set at 100mA idle and 320mA with modulation
    Cooling: TEC cooled to 10°C and temperature controlled with a Die4Laser TEC controller
    Output: 150mW after Lens at each laser and 293mW after optics from Knife Edge combination
    Polarization: Horizontal
    Everything is electrically isolated, the copper clamping blocks are clear coated so they are not contacting each other.

This module wasn't built with space in mind, but my next ones will be. I plan on building another one with dual 650 DVD diodes and combining these two reds using PBS after both knife edged modules. I will also repeat this once more with two 12x blu-ray diodes combined with a PBS attempting to get 600mW blu-ray with a reasonably decent life on them. I am about to order a 300mW 532nm module and a 100mW 473nm so this scanner should be pretty decent when completed. All analog modulation of course.

Smoke was used in this photo session since I didn't have a tripod to mount camera and do long exposure shots.
    I didn't have my L wrenches to adjust the mirrors so the beams aren't aligned. Plus those mirrors are just mock up mirrors, I will replace them with clean ones when I get them in the mail.

Thanks for checking this out, comments and criticism are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 640 top view.jpg  

640 other top view.jpg  

640 front view.jpg  

640 side view beam shot.jpg  

640 over saturated beam shot.jpg  

Last edited by MisterWilling; 12-12-2009 at 08:53.

Looks very good!

I do have two questions, however:

How do you compensate for condensation at -10C?

Why not just use a PBS cube for combining as you've suggested with your other projects? It would give a completely concentric beam..

Default ahh

Well I am combining this module with another red so I will use the PBS to do that. If I combined these with a PBS then I would have to get a special dichro to combine the two different colors of red.

I'm trying to build this projector as cheap as possible. That's why I'm building my own modules. I made this one for significantly less then I could find a 640nm 300mW module.

As for the condensation compensation, I can't control it. It was a typo, I meant +10C.

I misunderstood your statement in the original post and didn't realize that you were combining this with another red..

Sounds good all around.. it'll be sweet to see them in a projector.

It looks like that all 642 diodes are designed to do 150mW, so modules doing 300,600,900,1.2.....make sense. How the hell is then possible that LaserWave 640nm module is doing 200+mW?

Quote Originally Posted by pelosh View Post
    It looks like that all 642 diodes are designed to do 150mW, so modules doing 300,600,900,1.2.....make sense. How the hell is then possible that LaserWave 640nm module is doing 200+mW?

Two underdriven diodes.
    One overdriven diode
    One higher spec'd multi-mode diode.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWilling View Post
    As for the condensation compensation, I can't control it.
    But have you made the condensation compensation computation with enough combination of concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by Xytrell View Post
    But have you made the condensation compensation computation with enough combination of concentration?
    I have never seen so much alliteration in my life.

hi martin
    opnext do 250mw diodes so bridge proberly uses them

Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    hi martin
    opnext do 250mw diodes so bridge proberly uses them
    Optnex 250mW got bad beam specs so I dont think so.