|NotTaR of small Gasoline Engines and Rotary Lawn Mowers : Explosion risk when filling a metal gas ..
1994-2007, Samuel M. Goldwasser. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of this document in whole or in part is permitted if both of the following conditions are satisfied: 1. This notice is included in its entirety at the beginning. 2. There is no charge except to cover the costs of copying.
I may be contacted via the Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ (www.repairfaq.org) Email Links Page.
<< Engine overhaul procedure |
| Why you really don't want.. >>
Items of Interest
Although rare, there have been reports of fires resulting during fuel
transfer. Simple precautions can minimize this risk.
Here is how to fill a gas can to minimize the danger of fire:
- Turn off your vehicle's engine.
- Use only an approved container.
- Do not fill any container while it is inside a vehicle, a vehicle's trunk,
pick-up bed, or on any surface other than the ground. This includes pickup
trucks, sports utility vehicles, vans and others.
- Remove the approved container from the vehicle and place it on the ground a
safe distance away from the vehicle, other customers and traffic.
- Keep the nozzle in contact with the can during filling.
- Never use a latch-open device to fill a portable container.
- Follow all other safety procedures, including No Smoking.
More information can be found on:
Chevron's Technical and
Safety Publications Page.