Originally Posted by
mixedgas
Tried something new today to actually do something laser for once. I laser scribed some lumia wheels.
75 watt co2, 5000 hz prf, 1 psi assist gas, 3" disk, thick showerglass, 3" focal length lens. I'm not 100% happy with the edge quality, but once belt sanded, OK enough . But setting the focus at the surface was a bit wrong, it cut a bit deeper then a scribe, resulting a somewhat uneven edge. Blasting the central hole was out with this laser, but perhaps not with the 20 khz 200 watt laser designed for a small spot and for raster engraving stone. I could not upload the cad to the big laser, don't have a password on that cad machine.
The edge would be a 5 on a 1-10, but the breaking on the scribed line was the easiet I've ever done. This glass was poorly annealed and had a lot of stress in it...This was bad. It had enough stress to start self breaking.
Caveat: You have to keep the silica fumes off the lens and away from your lungs...
Drilling the center hole will still be with a glass drill, but I could mark the center reasonably well.
Steve