RANT: Laser Quantum Sucks
I've got a very expensive Laser Quantum Entertainer green DPSS laser here that *was* going to be part of my RGB projector. When I got it, it was misaligned and low power, possibly due to shipping damage. I sent it to LQ in the UK for repair at a cost of nearly $800. I checked it briefly when it came back a few months ago and stuck it on the shelf, waiting for this project. I fired it up again last night and it is only making 60mW (it's rated for 200mW and was producing 270mW after the repair) and is unstable as well. I've got a Lasever replacement unit on order for about half the *repair* cost of the LQ POS.
Not that anyone here would likely pay 4-10X the price of a decent chinese made laser system, but if you're thinking about it, avoid Laser Quantum. I hear the lasers made in Hungary are pretty good, and a friend is supposed to be getting a couple of 1W RGB systems in soon which I'll check out and hopefully post some pictures of.
Kevin
3 Attachment(s)
RE: Laser Quantum experience...
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Junktronix
I've got a very expensive Laser Quantum Entertainer green DPSS laser here that *was* going to be part of my RGB projector. When I got it, it was misaligned and low power, possibly due to shipping damage. I sent it to LQ in the UK for repair at a cost of nearly $800. I checked it briefly when it came back a few months ago and stuck it on the shelf, waiting for this project. I fired it up again last night and it is only making 60mW (it's rated for 200mW and was producing 270mW after the repair) and is unstable as well. .... I hear the lasers made in Hungary are pretty good, and a friend is supposed to be getting a couple of 1W RGB systems in soon which I'll check out and hopefully post some pictures of.
Hey Kevin - Long time no type! ;) Got some NON-THREATENING questions fer' ya on this - what I mean is, not trying to 'doubt' your account, here, but just wanna find out more about what happened...
First, was it one of the older 'black' Entertainer 500s or the newer, 'gold' 600mW one? (as seen below, both models... I will explain reason I ask once I know which one it was...)
Also, I am 'extrapolating' that you got this laser USED and not direct from LQ? (that would explain why it cost you anything to get it fixed, cause if they had SENT it bad, they surely would have fixed it under warranty, and even if it was shipping, we have experienced such good cust svs from them that in that-type case, we've seen them fix it, (as opposed to making you submit a ship-ins claim...)
Lastly, how are you doing your blanking (to get ANY beam, let alone only 60mW) - and again, please let me stress, I am NOT 'inferring' you don't know what you are doing - maybe you just got a bad experience, but I ask cause it is POSSIBLE, depending on your model and HOW you are blanking, it could be just 'holding out' on you...
It sounds like if you tested it on arrival and it was doing 270mW and suddenly (without use in-between) it is doing 60mW - something happened - maybe a loose/bad wire in the interlock DB-9? (where the laser gets its' 5V TTL Hi, or something in the PSU - if one of the 'opto-gates' went bad, that would result in the same, it not getting full signal to drive 100% - I've never seen them just crap-out like that...only time we had one go bad on us, was when we had, like, one if the FIRST of the first-gen black E-500s, and the seal on the front of the head (the little white 'ring' around the aperture 'nose' in the pic) 'failed'... they not only replaced it, but replaced it with one of the E-600s, which was a higher-dollar unit, (guaranteed 600mW MIN output - they consistantly did over 1W for us)...
Did you ever send it back to them? Lemme know, cause perhaps we can help you troubleshoot/fix it or 'encourage' them to help you - they are usually very quick to jump on resolving 'bad press'..
Last comment, is just general - I will agree with your gripes about priceyness - but I would also NEVER recommend them for a 200mW unit - WAY overkill! Where their 'ferrari' pricing becomes more 'balanced (price vs VALUE) is when you really NEED a 'ferrari' - their 3W and 5W series, as well as the newest-gen Excels - they blow Melles Griot away in beam-quality, visual-brightness and most important, RELIABILITY - I for one, would NEVER trust our level of shows to a chinese 2 or 3W, no ill-respect meant...
Final question - HOW WAS your friends' experience with RGB Systems' (Hungary) 1W? I ask cause a friend of ours told us about their nighmare experiences with the RGB 2W (said it was ALWAYS going out of alignment (convergence of colors) and was a real pain...they finally sold it...) - now, that WAS a gen-2 unit, I believe, and from what I understand from LSDI, the 'gen-3' units - more notably, the $39K (!!!) 4W unit - is WAY improved, and I believe they were demoing it at LDI this year (anyone??) - but would still like to hear your friends' experience w/the 1W...
Ok, I'll shut up now! ;) - hope to hear from ya!
- jon