Looking to build my first DIY projector, seeking parts advice
I've been talking with Aixiz about putting together a parts list to build an RGB projector. It will be analog modulation, under 1 watt (200-500mW per color), and use my existing set of Cambridge 6800HP galvos with a sound card DAC. Once the main assembly is built, I hope to make it fully ILDA compliant.
The galvos and amp have been salvaged from an old Eclipse LaserXpress projector, and I've successfully reproduced the ILDA test pattern at 30K using the low power green DPSS laser that was in the unit. It has left me itching for full color and more brightness.
My main question is, what type of material should I mount everything on? From what I've seen, it looks like a lot of you guys are using a thick metal plate to hold all the components. I assume this is also to act as a heatsink.
I could also use advice on how to line everything up. I'll be getting a set of Dichros to combine the beams, but I'm pretty sure each laser will need a different mounting scheme because they are not physically matched.
One thing I've noticed is that there are no RGB safety goggles. I guess I'll need to set up each color one at a time using the appropriate goggles, then do the RGB convergence at low power without goggles once everything is roughed in?
If there is a construction thread somewhere that has some guidelines for a good DIY build, feel free to direct me there. I appreciate any advice :-)