Analogue Protection Filtering for ILDA XY/Galvos
Hello Photonlexicon community!
This is my first post. I design synthesizer modules for video synthesis through my company LZX Industries. I'm about to release a EuroRack format synthesizer module for ILDA output. My prototypes have been going great and working well, but I am a bit stuck on the technical requirements of high frequency protection filters for various laser galvos. I'm already limiting voltage ranges to within the ILDA specs using Zener diodes.
My current design is a 2-pole butterworth filter with a cutoff around 1KHz, separately for X & Y differential outputs. It seems to be working well for the few individuals I've built custom modules for, but before I do a larger product release, I want to make it variable, with settings for 10KPPS/20KPPS/40KPPS scanners. Here are some initial questions:
(1) Is there a direct correlation between "Points Per Second" and analogue bandwidth? I have heard "divide PPS by 12", but no justification for that. I'm looking for an in depth technical explanation that will aid me in designing these filters.
(2) Are there possible repercussions to filtering X & Y separately, and creating harmonics that would damage the galvos, or does it make sense that limiting each would protect the galvos?
Worst case scenario, I will use a microcontroller with an ADC/DAC to limit the bandwidth, but I'd like to avoid it if at all possible, and keep the circuit simple.
I'm very grateful for any help,
Lars Larsen
LZX Industries