intellectual property and copyrights
It has been brought to my attention that some of the designs that exist on PL have been observed by certain companies and commercially re-produced, sold or are in production.
I want to point out that what you might find friendly now by publishing technical know-how and details to be a friendly act and yes it's friendly, might prove later to be a foolish disclosure.
As long as you publish the details, you are giving away details freely with no possibility to claim intellectual property right later, for something that could have significant commercial values and with this you get nothing for your time and efforts. A company that uses your ideas and designs for sure will not be back later to hand out royalties.
So take care what details you give and who you give those details too.
It takes us years to develop stuff and 1 hour for a connected company to bring into production and then clain the design.
I am looking further into this and will report all details to ILDA and any effected PL members.
Please do not comment or ask for details as I do not want to start a major descussion untill all the details are 100% known and I will continue as more details arrive.
Andy
What, exactly, is the issue Andy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by
lasersbee
If you think that there is a potential to make money on your idea...
then keep it to yourself and produce it...
or sell the idea...
If you just want to share your idea to get recognition and kudos...
(because taking it further is too much work or trouble)...
then don't cry if someone uses/modifies "your idea" and markets it.
Exactly.
If you post it here and some company takes your idea and commercializes it, well, you should be flattered. But if you wanted money for the idea, you shouldn't have posted it here in the first place.
There's no worry over another company patenting your idea, since by posting it here it immediately qualifies as both prior art AND public domain.
I really don't see what the fuss is all about, and without further details from Andy I don't see how we can even discuss it.
Andy? Care to add anything here?
Adam