Laser MPE meters, but is there any point?
A number of posters here have strongly suggested that every moment of a laser show that interacts with audience, musicians or crew be measured to assess the risk of ocular or skin damage. And that indeed the professionals both perform this for every show, and document the results. Which I applaud.
A meter to measure laser MPE has been mentioned, and indeed is referred to in many linked documents. Manufactured by "Precision Optical Engineering", which as it turns out are just down the road from me (ok 30 miles or so) in the UK. But you can't buy these meters anywhere, as far as I can tell from Googling. And when I attempted to contact the company by email, explaining who I was, what I wanted and why, I received no response. Further, their website doesn't mention the product. So wtf is that all about?
Further, when reading this article, I'm informed that even if I could get my hands on an MPE meter, there'd be little point due to
* the influence of other light sources, coherent or otherwise
* sampling errors and biases
* detector idiosyncrasies
* measurement is only valid at that time, beam characteristics may vary
So am I being advised to use a device which is nigh impossible to obtain to perform a task which is largely meaningless anyway?
The article suggests a much simpler guideline for safety: power density less than 10mW / cm^2 at the nearest point of interaction. Though I'd still like to know what I measure that with, and why it doesn't suffer from the same problems as above. But more to the point: I really want to do this thing right - safely, so that people can enjoy what I do and I can make some money. But it seems there's no clear guidance on the matter, even from well-meaning articles that purport to give clear(er) guidance.
What would be really useful for me would be someone to give me a relatively short but adequately detailed précis of what they actually do when they're preparing a show - not theoretical, but empirical - to ensure safety.