Originally Posted by diachi
A Q-switched arc-lamp pumped YAG for your first laser :wtf: ... This is a terrible idea all round. I've been messing around with lasers for 8 years and these things still scare the shit out of me - and I've been around several working models doing 40W@532nm, Q-switched. I know several people with more experience than me that refuse to go near something like this. Not just dangerous from the ridiculous output power (Major fire hazard, burn hazard, eye hazard, hazard to the space time continuum ... OK, that last one's a joke), but there's plenty of electrical components in there that'll quite happily kill you.
Which safety pointers have you read? I don't think there's really anything on this forum that adequately covers the safety measures needed for one of these.
There are a couple of people here (But more so on Photonlexicon) that know how to get these running. - including one guy who pretty much developed his own very similar system intended for show use. They may however refuse to help you due to previous issues with inexperienced operators running such systems. Much of the knowledge isn't public, and for good reason.
Modifying it to a diode pumped system is going to be far from trivial.
Edit: I know 2 or 3 people in the UK that can work on these systems - they are all active over on Photonlexicon.