-
I agree that we should spread the word, but we probably should at least have a location nailed down first... I mean, we know it's going to be in Atlanta, but if we can state exactly where in the city, then people can make arrangements for hotels, etc...
But you're right - alt.lasers needs to be informed, as well as any of the other laser related mailing lists that people are aware of. (I'll be sure to post it to the Alphalite list on Yahoo Groups...)
Adam
-
If Josh and I aren't terribly swamped, we're been discussing flying out there
to hang out with ya'll... It'd be fun and I'll see what toys we can cram into a
suitcase. I wonder how the TSA would react to our gear as carryon... :P
-
Yadda!
I sure hope you guys can make it! I've been working on Astroguy myself. He's going to be really busy around that time, but I keep bugging him about coming up to Atlanta anyway. No firm commitment yet though! (Sorry to put you on the spot like this Fred, but I just won't take NO for an answer!)
I know this is going to be a great time for everyone. I'm really looking forward to seeing all the different equipment in operation. I expect that many of the people attending will come away from this meeting with a better idea of where they want to take their hobby to next.
As far as cramming gear into a suitcase though... I think I'd be a little concerned as to what the gorrillas in the baggage handling department would do to your equipment. Heck, it might be cheaper to box it up and ship it via FedEx or DHL rather than trying to safely pack it into a suitcase. (Unless you already have flight cases for your stuff, that is...)
As for me, it's not an issue. Everything will go in the back of the Jeep and I'll just drive there!
Adam
-
^^ agreed, ship it with fedex. Much safer, and probably also better price-wise
-
Location?
Hey Spec;
Any further news on possible venue locations?
Adam
-
not yet. still working on finding a decent venue. Most everything these days is designed for high light corporate jerk-sessions.
Ive called a couple friends to see what they could do about a temperature controlled warehouse.
-
Spec;
Just sent you a PM about this problem...
-
I am getting absolutely fed up with looking at hotels. My god, I think ive seen more hotels than whoever the hell issues the "Star rating" to hotels.
Some looked promising, theres a neat one thats like a stadium classroom with desks running the width of the room with side walkways. Kinda like a movie theater with long tables infront of the seats.
Only problem with that one was the desktops were ony a foot deep... Not really much room for an argon laser or other large frame systems.
I think its difficult because I am looking for the *perfect" venue at a reasonable price.
Ive had zero luck finding warehouses in decent neighborhoods.
Anywho: the search is on ;)
-
Private space
There is a hangar I am pretty sure that could be used in Greenville, S.C. That would be perfect......power....room.....easily cut off from the public. Maybe you could find a flying friend in the area and see if there is an empty one at a nearby , small airport. What about a community center? Even a small warehouse or storage facility would do. We contacted a local realtor in the area and they found a nice building and rented it to us for 3 days some time ago. May be an avenue to check into. Sorry to rant.......just trying to be helpful.
-
Hey Mecheng3!
Dude - that's not a rant... That's good information! We need more input like that.
An airport hanger would work well, assuming we didn't get charged an arm and a leg to rent it. I never actually thought about renting a hanger.. Spec - know anyone in the aviation business?
Also, you said there's a hanger available in Greenville, SC... Do you travel there often? Reason I ask is that if it becomes necessary to select another location, Greenville is actually closer to you and a few other PL members north of you. It would be slightly closer for me as well, though it would be farther for Spec. Of course, it would really suck for Marconi and Astroguy in Florida...
Spec; regarding the hotel with the "auditorium" seating... Any chance we could set up a sheet of plywood or something to span multiple desks and thus make a platform large enough for a big argon? (Or maybe set it on the desk and then put legs behind it where the chairs would be to support it?)
I have to admit that I'm not married to the idea of a hotel. A wharehouse works just as well for me - even an empty office building. (Just bring a few folding tables to hold the equipment...) Likewise, the idea of a hanger would be cool too - provided we could keep the daylight out... Not sure if a sorage building would work or not (power requirements) but it's worth checking out...
Adam